Top End Service Limits on 2001 RM 250

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
My buddy ordered a service manual from Suzuki for his 2001 RM250 and it is on back order. :( We have the top end for the bike but I wanted to check the wear on the parts we have taken out before we slap the new parts in the bike.

Could someone help me out and give me the piston, rings, cylinder and bearing service limit? It would help me out if anyone has this information.

Thanks in advance. ;) :cool:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Cylinder bore: 2.6142 - 2.6148" measured .79" from top of cylinder There souldn't be any nicks or scraches in the plated surface

Piston dia: 2.6118 - 2.6124" measured .93" from skirt end (front to back) limit is 2.6100"

Ring end gap (in cylinder) .018 to .024" limit is .013"

Check for any vertical movement for bearing wear. The specs are too tight to measure unless you can mearuse in the tenths. There shouldn't be much if any bearing wear on a newer bike unless you sucked dirt or aren't using enough oil or are running too lean

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
Thanks for the reply RM_guy...I appreciate your response. Well upon further evaluation the cylinder is damaged and the piston is grooved. The top end has been sent to Eric Gorr today for a bore and re-plating service.:debil:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
That's too bad. While Eric has it he should have it ported. That engine really wakes up with Eric's Mo power Everywhere.

Good luck

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
The over-bore and re-plating service comes with porting. My buddy choose the Mo-Better Everywhere porting. He spoke to Eric today and got all the details for the work to be done. I will wait until he gets the top end back from Eric and then we play the jetting game.

Top Bottom