Top End - Torquing 4 Nuts on Side of Jug

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
Torquing the head nuts to specification when doing a top end job isn't an issue.

However, due to the jug design on KDX's, torquing the 4 jug nuts to spec using a standard socket/torque wrench is impossible. The service mgr at my kawasaki dept said they do it the old fashioned way - good estimate.

How do you all do it? Wish I had a picture that speaks to directly what I am referring to, but those who have ventured into this space have dealt with it somehow.

Thx

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I've used the calibrated elbow to torque the cylinder on my CR125..

Didn't seem to be much of a problem. Be careful though.. Don't want to torque one of them tighter than the others.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
As long as you are familiar with the feel of torquing you should be fine. Keeping them all even is very important.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
One word: crowfoot.

(Glad's suggestion is an excellent one. Try this one, too: http://www.mcmaster.com/ search "crowfoot")

One time, in an emergency, I welded two sockets together...side-by-side...that let me use a torque wrench to get on a base nut. (Put one socket on the nut, put torque wrench in the other socket)
After calculating distance changes(from stud center to torque wrench handle center), I believe the correction factor was about 3ft/lbs, IIRC. YRMV.

Mud

Last edited:

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
Thanks for the great feedback, I was a little suspicious about the 'dealers' response. He did mention the crow foot, but made reference to it being an issue because of the conversion, which basically accounts for the difference in the lever arm over and beyond the wrench itself (not rocket science by any means).

I'll get the proper tool before I bring mine down!

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
most of the time people do a pretty good estimate with a ring end spanner and have no problems. but if you want to be 100% then you can either buy a special adapter for your torque wrench, or weld an old socket to an old ring spanner and calculate the torque difference that the adapter length gives (google it..).
good luck. :)

tarrdid

Jan 13, 2008
toque wrench adaptor

Pit posse has nice torque wrench adaptors. Price is right too.just check out pit posse web site under tools.

Top Bottom