Wayne Meuir

Feb 2, 2009
I just bought a 2003 KDX 200 and will probably top end it in the near future since I have no history on the bike.
Question I have is: assuming it does not need to be bored, is the cylinder supposed to be honed to a cross hatch finish before new rings are installed. That is the normal procedure for re-ringing, but I don't know if the cylinder is plated on the inside. If it is not supposed to be honed, then what is the procedure for installing new rings?

Thanks, Wayne

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Negative. You are NOT suppose to hone a plated cylinder. Most use a scotchbrite pad to clean it up and nothing more. If the crosshatching is worn off it's time for it to be replated anyway.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Kawasaki calls their method Nikisil. US chrome does plating. There are others too but I believe US Chrome is the most widely used.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
julien_d said:
Negative. You are NOT suppose to hone a plated cylinder. Most use a scotchbrite pad to clean it up and nothing more. If the crosshatching is worn off it's time for it to be replated anyway.

You can safely hone a plated cylinder if done properly and many people do. Some people also use a scotchbrite type pad.

Top Bottom