whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
After a 3 1/4 hour ride out west, I locate the small contingent of Southern Spodes or whatever it is that WE call ourselves, never mind what others may call us. :confused: Pit parking is figured out and I get up with the gang to pay the moto fees. Waiting on Wrench he discovers that he has been the victim of a pic-pocket, what a way to start the day. :| We mosey on over to walk the track, It’s very wet and I get mud on my shoes, that’s gonna take a while to clean up. :confused: Back up at our pit we get unloaded, fueled up and geared up for our practice sessions. The track is really slick and with 12# of air it’s a battle to keep it upright. I hit a big double on the beginning of my third practice lap thinking it was a tabletop, thank goodness I’m wearing my chest protector because I land about 4 feet short and completely collapse the suspension HARD, my chest hits the bar pad and my chin the number plate. Somehow I manage to not fall even though I saw stars for an instant. :eek: Make the 180* left and a mental note to myself, ‘wherever that was that I just augured in, DON’T do it again.’ I had to walk back to the spot later to remember where it was.
So, practice over, get a little hydration and lunch, before I knew it it’s time for our first moto, sandwiched between Ivan and Gomer, one is turning off my fuel and pulling my choke the other is sticking something in my silencer, so I knew we were about to have a fun ride. The gate drops, and after having my front brake grabbed by the practical joker I still manage to get the hole shot. Looking over my shoulder I notice I’ve got about a 4 to 5 bike advantage over ... no one, see, I really didn’t get the hole-shot, :silly: I stalled in a second gear start. I’m trying my best to play ketchup but these young kids in the 30+ are really strong, actually riding the straights and jumps hard but my ability to turn whilst on the gas is non-existent. I actually put the bike on the ground in two different right-handers. I finish 14th and soon enough because the AB class was just about to lap me. So back at the pits I grab my book and sit around back where there is actually a breeze, everyone had gone to watch the moto’s.
In the main, I get called to the gate last, what’s up with that? Get a much better start and am in a heated battle for 13th, Gomer finally decides to ride and goes by me like ... a big guy on a bike ... so at this point I’ve got 14th locked up pretty secure, James is right in front of me and making himself wide, so since he is not roosting me I decide to hang there, until he gets hit from the front, and I have to miss him. At this point it’s time to ride hard. If he thinks he is going to get around me again, well bring it on. For 4 1\2 laps I’m checking for James, he’s back there, and I know he wants that 13th podium spot. With a lap to go Ivan and someone else get into it and I get around these two, one may have been an AB rider so I’m not sure if I’m 11th or not. I look around and James still coming strong, we ride out that last lap hard and I take the checkered, well behind the leader. Just a great day and night. Got to meet Gomer’s wife, as well as Ivan’s. BTW the Gomer-mobile is awesome, what a nice rig. We packed up and then watched Ivan and Wrench mix it up for their main. Then at 11:45 Lil96 and I head out for a 3 hour ride home, lucky for us I was driving because he was out by the time we left the parking lot.
Wrench, hang on to the stand, I’ll see ya somewhere again, sometime soon, hopefully TNT in a few weeks. As far as the red stuff for the tranny, and the procedures, re filter swap or not, ... let me know what it is that you need to know, so you can let me know what to do.
Thanks again guys, you’re all great!
FYI, chest still hurts like ... but I don't think I broke anything.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Good ride report Dave! :)
Seems like just a short while back you were talking about getting ready for the 1st race ever, now you've got it down "old hat."

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
DRN's finest? what was gomer doing there? :p

yeah, good report. it sounds like you guys know what it's all about. :cool:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
The race was at Top Gun in Lincolnton, NC. I like the track a lot but have only raced on it once before.

The track really is a 3rd gear track for the 250's but the 250's would pull me bad so I had to rev it hard to keep up. Low end of 3rd on my bike didn't have enough and there really wasn't enough room to get to the top end of 3rd for me (even though Zack Bradshaw looked like he was getting all of 4th on the 250f he was riding). Overall, revving 2nd gear was the fastest route for me in most sections. I got into 3rd for a few jumps which was cool and a really nice change over the 2nd gear only track at Shelby.

I signed up for +30c/d and 250D. Vince signed up for +35 and 250D. A couple guys from DRN, Dave 96whyzeee and James showed up. Dave signed up only for +30c/d, James signed up for +30c/d and 250d and Gomer signed up for +30c/d and +35. We had 4 of us in +30c/d and decided to have some fun during the heat race.

Off the start Gomer waits on us and we play around. He lets EVERYONE go by. He then calmly passes us all in 3 laps and grabs at each of us.

When he passed me he got out of shape afterwards and came over on me and almost went down. I was yelling at him, "get out of my way spode!!" and laughing my ass off the entire way.

Dave covered his part well above. I knew he had a good time but it sounds even better reading his version.

In the 250D heat I got a crappy start. The start is a long uphill start and with my lack of confidence in starting and the cc advantage of the other riders I was behind the 8 ball so to speak. I got around a few others and got stuck behind one guy who was right behind Wrench.

They both collided and went around. After I passed them I tried to do the big table top again but it was drying up and the track was a little slick in the dry spots where there wasn't enough traction so I missed clearing the table top but didn't miss it by much. I should have taken that as an omen but thought it was nothing.

Gomer's two oldest son's Ricky and Danny raced too. Ricky got to the start late and tried to pick his way through the pack in the 80 class and did a really good job. Danny was out there in the 125's doing really good but he doesn't double and that was really hurting him.

Back at the Gomer Funmover we all gathered around and started lieing how we were going to beat each other in the main :) Gomer's puppy, Lightning provided us with a lot of entertainment as he tossed, chased and ate an empty water bottle.

In +30c/d the gate drops and I go. I get a fair start and as I round the first turn I am looking for Gomer. I am thinking that if I can latch on to his rear wheel for a little I may be able to follow him over the double I want to clear. Unfortunately, I couldn't find him. Turns out he got stuck in the gate and had to race from last place.

He catches up to us after I have moved into 11th. He puts some pressure on but I know he is back there so I do what I can to keep him there. I start riding over my head and taking away his line and riding faster than I ever have on an MX track. As he gets close I start to seat bounce some jumps. I was doing it pretty good and by doing it I was able to go inside on the turn before some jumps and still clear them the jump.

One jump was a step up before the finish line and it was hard to clear. I never cleared it but by clutching on the face and seat bouncing I was able to get my front over it and let the rear tire clip it to scrub off speed so I could try for the inside of the next corner. I tried everything while I had Gomer behind me. I knew it wouldn't last long but I was determined to make it last as long as I could.

He gets by me and the 2 guys we closed in on. He quickly gets by them but I have a little more trouble. I dice with #33 for a while and then set him up for the pass. I thought it out and planned and executed it perfectly. The following straight had the double I wanted to do and I did it on the first lap but cased it. I figured I had to do it here to put some space on me and catch #7. I click up into 3rd and wind the puppy to the throttle stop.

I clear the jump clean and smooth. Right then I was happy :)

I started chasing down #7 and kept getting right up onto his back tire. I figured that I'd get him on the next lap if I played it smart. The white flag lap came out and I tried the big table top after the finish line but didn't quite make it and stalled it as I went over the next double. Fortunately, I didn't go down but after 3 kicks I got the bike started (it started in gear). Also, the A riders caught me at that time as they got the checkered flag. That is where Dave thought I got into it with an A rider. Actually, I didn't get caught until after my white flag so I wouldn't have been caught if I wouldn't have stalled.

Now here is where it gets weird.

After the finish you go over a pit jump, turn left and go over the big table top and over a double, then you go right over a barrel jump and that is where they flag you off. I was at the bottom of the barrel when the A riders came around on their last lap but I was still on my white flag lap. They pass me and I go up to the barrel but the flagger is waving me off as if I was a lapped rider.

I was so full of adrenaline and anger from stalling that I didn't think and just followed the flaggers instructions. I ended up getting scored in last place (14th) even though I was in 10th at the time of the stall. I had a chance for 10th if I wouldn't have stalled and *maybe* a 9th. Gomer finished 9th. That would have been really cool for him and I to go 8 and 9.

Even with the stall and dumb pull off I was really stoked to ride so well. I really enjoyed the +30 class b/c I felt safer with those guys b/c I knew that most of them would jump at least what I'd jump and if not they'd take one side or the other on a jump so someone who was jumping it could. James and Dave raced that and I didn't see where they finished but they said they had fun nonetheless. James did go on and on about some rider who took him out in that race. Of course, James complaining is more like "yeah, some guy hit my tire and I went down." Then he pretty much doesn't bring it up anymore. He doesn't bitch and bitch like I do :) Turns out the guy who took him out is a friend of James.

In the 250D I lined up closer to the inside and hoped I'd get a decent start. As the gate dropped I wheelied off the start and tried clutching it to bring it back down but didn't get it right and a guy on my right came over on me. I was about 17th out of the start with 19 in the class.

Wrench on the other hand was about 3rd on the start. He got a great jump and was moving.

I put my head down and passed a few riders and a few went down. A couple of the guys who went down ended up passing me back which bummed me out b/c I felt I was faster than they were. But if I really was faster than they were they wouldn't have passed me would they.

I finally fall behind the guy who I got stuck behind in the heat race. He and another guy were in front of me and then there was Vince. I tried getting around #97 who was in front of me but I made some poor choices on lines and every time I'd take an alternate line he'd come over. However, it did not look like he was coming over to block me but b/c he was just riding that way.

I tried going inside and seat bouncing the jumps. I tried to let him get a lead on some jumps he wasn't doing that I was so I could see what line he was taking and then pass him in the air but I'd give him too much room.

Gomer said I looked tired but I didn't feel it. I was frustrated though. I'd pull right up to the back tire but I wouldn't go forward anymore b/c I didn't want to make contact. There were a lot of areas where I should have stuck my front wheel in and made him back off and there were other places where I backed off when I should have pressured him into a mistake.

I finally get around both 97 and 7 on the last lap and wanted to catch Wrench. I wring it out up to the big table top and think I have enough but didn't. I came up short and bounced the bike up and missed the landing and bounced off the track but didn't go down. 97 passed me back (I thought 7 did too but results show he didn't) and I couldn't get around him. Vince got 11th and I got 13th.

James came in right behind me. He pressured me really good the entire race and since I was so focused on the guy in front of me I didn't realize he was so close. He said there were times he moved right up on my rear wheel and that we had a good battle going on. I wish I would have looked back b/c I would have enjoyed the battle had I payed attention.

In the 80 race Ricky got a much better start and finished better as a result. Danny did well in the 125 class but lost a few positions when he went down mid-way through the race. He picked himself up and finished strong.

In the +35 race Gomer looked really good. He rode very well and got a 5th place. Vince rode really well and very strong. He got 7th and a trophy position. Way to go Wrench. He is now getting quite a collection.

After the final race we looked at the clock and it was 1:30am. We didn't get home until 3am. I decided when I woke up at 10am that I was not doing much on Sunday. I have spent all day sleeping on and off. The times I wasn't sleeping I was beating myself up for my mistakes and when I was sleeping I was dreaming of what would have happened if I wouldn't have made those mistakes :)

My wife went too and spent a lot of time in the Funmover watching movies. It was really nice of Gomer and his wife to be so generous to us and everything.

All in all though the racing was great and it was the best time I have EVER had racing. I felt I ran as good as I'm capable of for the most part and learned a lot too. I really had a good time racing with Dave and James. It is a lot of fun when you get a good group together. Especially when they are as nice as Dave and James and willing to support all my lies :)

Ivan

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Truespode
Spoken like a "Truespode."
It has to be the best feeling when you know you rode a race to the best of your ability.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sounds like a great time. Can't wait to get back in the game with MX547, Motox757, TX246, and OKKX'r. Good report guys.:)

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Great reports Dave & Ivan, The only thing I have to add is that some IDIOT found his money in Ivans Jeep ... Hmmm I wonder how that happened? :confused:

It was a great time. I really enjoyed racing with Gomer again. Dave and James weren't too bad either.

Dave, I gave your stand to Gomer to give back to you .... THANKS>

wrench

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
It was like slip and slide out there for the practices and heats. The mains were better but my need for a new rear tire became very evident.

If my comments about Randy taking me out were "going on and on", then we'll have to find a good word that describes these Shakespearean plays that you and Wrench put on when something goes wrong. :confused: Ivan was so pissed off about not being able to get around 97 that he completely missed the fact that I passed him and ran about 1/20th of the lap in front of him. :eek:

I couldn't have been beaten by a nicer guy in the +30 C/D than WhyZee Dave. I could see him looking back as I was trying to run him down and I think a pileup of two other guys on the last turn before the finish is what saved him. I am just glad that I was able to get up and going again as the crash smashed my throttle tube and it was stuck for a while. This is on the replacement list also (anybody have an opinion on aluminum throttle tubes???)

Even better was hanging out with Lil 96 comparing notes on Playstation games. I think I've finally found somebody in the bunch that I can have an intelligent conversation with (besides Mrs Ivan and Mrs Gomer of course).

The hardest thing to swallow is Gomer out there riding with broken spokes, a broken front brake lever, on a bike that cuts out over the jumps, passing us like we are out on a Sunday cruise. :moon:

I wore myself out so bad in the mains that I didn't make TNT today either. Had such a good time though that I am seriously thinking about trying to make Shelby this weekend. :think:

By the way, sometimes those pick-pockets change their mind and put the money back in a safe location......so don't feel bad about freaking out :)

Last edited:

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Vince, glad to hear that guy returned your money. :confused: I got in bed around 3am but could not sleep till after 4. Lil96 had me up at about 7:30, so I got the bike washed just in time to have a neighbor remind me about water conservation, (we are in a drought) I should have doused him with the hose. I drove by his house later in the evening to see his sprinkler system automatically maintaining his yard of Eden. Askhole. Woke up this morning with a headache and a sore chest, only to go and have to post-hole 14 24"x24" by 36" deep footing holes for a deck. :ugg: did I mention it's a 100* today. Gaud, I feel old.
Thanks again everyone, it was soooo much fun. I hope we get to do it again soon, and before DW2.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
It was really fun to ride with everyone in the +30 class. I'm glad we all signed up for it...well, except Vince (something about being afraid to be out there with Ivan and I at the same time).

I got a chance to talk to and observe lil'96 this time. He's one cool kid...nice, happy, and respectful all at the same time. Obviously he spends most of his time around Lola (when she's not "working").

In the +35 I got a so-so start, but managed to pass several at the first turn and came out in 4th or 5th. I passed 2 people on the first lap...to me it seems like people are easier to pass on the first lap because they think they couldn't possibly hold you off for the whole race. There is a left hand sweeper with a triple/tabletop (tabletop with a landing hump in the middle) followed by a 90 degree left and another triple/tabletop. They are both about 70 feet (35 to double). There was a guy who came up behind me and I was determined to keep him there. He was faster through the sweeper (both ends of my bike were sliding/drifting through the turn). He would take the inside, but I would cut the 90 degree turn between the triples tight and block him. He even hit me there one time when I cut him off. He later said that I was faster over the jumps, but he was faster in the turns. I held him off (literally within a couple feet) for the entire race. It was cool.

In the main for +35 I got about the same start and when #25 came up on me again I decided to swing inside on the first triple to block him. I went inside and he easily passed me on the outside! I was able to stay within a bike length or two from him for the rest of the race. I had another guy (4 stroke Yamaha) come up on me and try to cut me off in the turn before the big tabletop (50-55 ft, uphill) that Ivan was doing. I was outside where the good berm was and I saw him come charging inside. If I stayed outside, he would have pushed me over the berm and gotten by, so I squared it off and stopped him right there. He hit me but I don't think he went down (but I didn't see him after that, either).

In the qualifier for +30 I came out of the gate and went straight instead of going to the first turn. I then got to try to pass the rest of the guys and grab at their brake and clutch levers as I went by. In the main I really wanted to get a holeshot and I either drifted up into the gate or jumped early and got seriously hung in it. I had a tough time getting by Ivan in that one and almost went down right as I passed him.

I didn't even ride Sunday...just the kids. We got to TNT just before 4:00 am and slept till 9:30. Danny blew his rear tire and I didn't feel like fixing it there so I had him ride the 250. Ricky blew his rear shock sometime Sunday. He didn't notice it, but I did when I was loading it up. I now have 4 out of the 5 bikes in various stages of disrepair. The only reason Tommy's 50 is still in good shape is because it is still new. :(

Linus and I took some pictures with his digital camera Sunday...maybe he'll post them.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Dave...aren't you a little old to be doing that kind of work? Isn't that why you have grandkids?

I forgot to mention that I was out on the edge of the track trying to encourage James to hurry up and catch Ivan when james decided I looked like a good target...he aimed right for me! It's a good thing I have such quick reflexes (or is it that James has poor aim?)

BTW, I have a neat bike stand for sale...I'll be posting it to ebay soon! :p

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by the Real Old Guy
Dave...aren't you a little old to be doing that kind of work? Isn't that why you have grandkids?
Gober, I keep telling ya I'm only 25! I knew I'd get busted for running the +30, those grand kids must be Lola's. :silly:

Originally posted by the same Old Guy
BTW, I have a neat bike stand for sale...I'll be posting it to ebay soon! :p
WOW, that's just, ... wrong :confused:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
I forgot to mention that I was out on the edge of the track trying to encourage James to hurry up and catch Ivan when james decided I looked like a good target...he aimed right for me!

LOL, yeah I forgot to mention it too. I never expected to look down at my fender and see this big face lookin right at me. I would have sworn that your face was only inches from my number plate when I went around that turn...and I was still on the track. :scream:

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
Gomer and I took quite a few photos between the two of us while at TNT Sunday.

See this link for a page with the indexed photos.

I really got a lot of riding time in. Rode mostly with Danny as Gomer was pooped out from the night before. Danny hardly needed any rests in between rides so that ensured I was mighty tired for my ride home.

The photos show Tommy riding his XR50 on the pee wee track, and Ricky (in the green), Danny (Red), and me (Husky) riding the intermediate track. Ricky had us all beat with the biggest air, though I was very pleased with myself finally doing the small single to the tabletop which I was too chicken to do the weeks prior.

P.S. Sorry for the popup windows that appear, but hey, free space is free space, eh?

Top Bottom