truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I was really looking forward to Saturday's race. However, you wouldn't be able to tell by my actions. First, my bike fouls a plug and I was CONVINCED the valves were FUBAR. That led to me being totally pissed at the bike and then after Wrench, Gomer and James change the plug for me (while I was explaining why the valves were messed up) I rode tentative in plastic and felt the bike wasn't acting right and I was tentative as well. It was not a pretty site.

In the heat races I did ok (battling back of the pack but not as tentative as I was in practice). In the first heat race I rode better later in the race than I expected and gained some confidence in the bike and started feeling guilty for my earlier tantrum. Then I overjumped a table top. I landed flat and knew it wasn't going to be pretty. I locked up my legs out of stupidity and had my body all out of position (I call it spoding the landing). When I landed I felt major pain in my quadraceps where my Asterisk knee braces attach up top.

I am pretty sure the braces kept my legs from hyperextending. However, b/c of the pressure my quads felt bruised in a nice even band across the mid of my upper legs. I took my braces off b/c any sitting to standing movement caused a lot of pain. I was still in pain without them but not as bad. To make up for the pain I just seat bounced as much as I could so that I could use my momentum to help me get to standing a little easier.

In my second heat race I cleared the pit jump for the first time. It is a big jump and I was pretty stoked to clear it. Wrench's girlfriend's daughter even caught it on tape and it looked really cool. Then on the last turn before the checkerds a guy came all the way across and although I gave him the whole inside he made major contact and almost put me down. I knew he was coming and gave him all the room I could. We didn't make contact until about 2/3 of the way through the turn and he almost pushed me over the berm. I chased him down and yelled at him the entire time we were going off the track. Not usually my style. He finally threw his hands up and said he was sorry as I was yelling that I gave him the entire inside b/c I knew he was faster.

Then in the mains Wrench beat me in both the +30c/d and the 250D class. Not only did he beat me but he passed me early in the race and I couldn't recover. I caught him a few times but could not make any move to pass. He was moving really well and jumping a lot more than he did last year.

In the first main he took a great line and shot by James and I. James and I got caught up behind a few other riders that Wrench put between us. I hugged James tire and followed him to catch Wrench. We did really well for 3 laps and on the 4th lap James overshot a berm and I got by him. I said to myself to ride loose, get close to Wrench if I could and try to pass on the last lap.

I was feeling good as we were coming around for the white flag and Wrench was about 5 or 6 bike lengths ahead and I figured I would make up a lot of time over the pit jump that I was doing and he was just rolling. As I set myself up to take the finish line jump in a way that would give me a fast run at the pit jump a guy from the A/B race sneaks in front of me and my white flag goes away and turns to checkers. I had just been caught by the leader and had to pull off the track while Wrench went on another lap. Shoot... I lost my chance to catch him.

In the 250D race I got on the line and the guy who almost took me out from earlier pulled up and apologized. He said he went in hot. I told him no problem and apologized for yelling at him. It was not my style usually. We shook hands and I told him good luck.

When the gate dropped I got a good start and was doing good for 2/3'rds of the track but in one sweeper it was a little muddy coming out of it and I was very tentative. I did not do really well there. In that straight Wrench caught me and passed me like I was on a PW50. I tried to keep up with him the rest of the way and did well but could not put myself into a position to pass. I then had problems in the slick section on the last lap and Wrench put a good bit of space between us as he went to the checkers for 5th place and a trophy (way to go Wrench).

I on the other hand backed off on the last turn trying not to overjump and miss the berm which I was coming closer and closet to doing when 2 riders caught me really quickly. I thought they were in the A/B race that dropped the gate right before ours so I let them by. Turns out they were sandbaggers from our race who fell earlier and was just cathing me. Knocked me from 6th to 8th :( But, the guy who hit me in the heat race had problems and I finished ahead of him so I guess that is good.

Other noteables... Gomer took two 3rd places in a Herculian effort. He ran +30 (he wond the heat race) and +35 which were seperated by only one race so he basically had to run the races back to back!! I watched him in the +35 and he was moving really well. His speed is as good as I can remember but his form on the back is even better. It is so much fun watching him ride. I think that if he would not have had back to back races he may have won the +35 (he took the holeshot and led for half the race).

MikeT was flying in the +30c/d. I was behind him at once when he did the pit jump and told myself that I had to try it too. I was not matching the speed he had in the corners so he left me pretty well but I did get the pit jump. Billy got 3rd in the ATV race (yes we let ATV'ers ride with us as long as they do not have beer rack <g>). He was moving really well. John rode really well in his race and if it wasn't for a small spill in the main I think he would have done even better. I hope the bug bit him b/c he seemed like a nice guy and the more we have come regular season the better it will be.

James had a good outing but some bad luck kept him from riding to his potential. He overjumped one berm and then hurt his wrist on the pit jump in the last main. He and I usually have some really good battles and while most of my concentration were on Wrench, James was right there except for the times his luck turned poor. I am really looking forward to the regular season when James, Wrench and I get to battle a bit. I am sure James will start beating us pretty bad by mid-season though. He has better speed... it will only take a few more races for him to get back to the form he had at the end of last season.

Carp from DRN also came by but we did not get to speak to him for long. He never showed back up either :( We need a new recruit to harrass so maybe he'll be at the next one :)

Saturday was fun and I really appreciate everyone that gave me some help. I'm glad I shook off my early dissappointment and rode b/c it turned out to be a great night overall. Thanks everyone.

Till next time (possibly 2 weeks from now at Shelby or at least 3 weeks from now back at Top Gun).

Ivan

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
The only thing I remember is seeing the back of Wrench and Spode's bikes all night....and overjumping that tabletop :eek: You guys were riding GREAT (well, for you anyway). I am still not convinced that it was actually Wrench on that bike....but rather some other obnoxious character he hired to pilot his bike around the track without incident. I wasn't anywhere near seeing MikeT and Gomer after the first two turns so I know they ran well. I have found the key to keeping Ivan competitve....just hire some loser to take him out in the heat race so as to fire him up.

I felt like I was riding a bike with two flat tires and couldn't stay on the track to save my live. The bike was running great....but like RC earlier in the year, it had too much power ;). My Dunlops weren't keeping me on the track however. In reality, I am sure the tires were fine....not much a knobby can do when you are steering straight for the concession stand.

I am looking forward to Top Gun 2 three weeks from now....I have to redeem myself before the real season.

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, I have found that the guys in the 30+ class performed as expected. They were fast and didn’t make any stupid moves. I had never seen TG until Saturday and used most of my time trying to remember the track. It was decently long and kind of slick in the turns due to over watering of the same areas over and over again. I met Wrench for the first time and we had a good time talking (I now know why he’s called Wrench) and riding.

During the first practice I ended up sticking fairly close to Gomer until some guy cut him off right in front of me. I had to slam on the brakes to keep Lori from having to patch him up after the practice. My front tire just about rested on Gomers’ side as he rolled in front of me. I ended up moving on and eventually got bit by the over watering. I started to slide out in a turn then almost recovered, got slammed on the inside and eventually dropped my bike at relatively low speed. I took it easy for the rest of the practice and got ready for the heat.

When the heat started I got first gate pick and lined up one away from the dog house. Surprisingly no one lined up next to me so Gomer (who got one of the last gate picks) lined up right next to me, Wrench, and James and Ivan were to my right. Let’s see, Gomer on a 450 and me on a 125……. Who’s going to get to the first turn first? Well Gomer did but I turned inside him and got about 5th or sixth in the hole. Gomer soon passed me along with about 9 other guys, which really disappointed me because I thought I was riding as fast as I could. I ended up being at the tail end of the first pack and getting a 13th in that heat.

The main was about the same with some minor differences. This time Wrench was two spots to my right and made some sort of comment like “If I see that little 125 out on the track, I’m going to kick your front wheel out” I told him he wouldn’t have to worry about that because he wouldn’t see my bike. ;) That’s another story. Again I ended up riding at the back of the lead pack. I kept it on two wheels and passed a few guys on lap three, plus one or two crashed guys. You want to guess who one of those guys was?? I didn’t know who I was passing but Wrench tells me that I lapped him on lap three. I can’t believe that as fast as I thought I was riding I only ended up with an 11th.

I know in order to get faster, I need to ride with faster guys and it seems the 30+ will provide that. The guy I lined up next to during the main told me that if anyone crashes into me in this class, it’s a pure accident. That proved to be true. I had a really good time and enjoyed the teamwork that TEAM TURTLE did throughout the day. Whether it was helping jet my friends bike, helping with tear offs, installing a kill switch on an ATV or swarming Ivans bike for a last minute plug change, everyone pitched in.

My prayers were answered and no one got hurt, plus we all had a good time, I am thankful for that. :thumb:

MikeT

Last edited:

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
Sounds like you guys had a blast and no one got hurt. What more could you ask for. I hope to get out there the next time and cheer everyone on. Nothing like a 6'5" 280lb cheerleader. Scary!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
THAT was too much fun!

Jim:
Nothing like a 6'5" 280lb cheerleader.
Since you didn't show, I was too scared to try my patented helmet slap on James.&nbsp; Next time!

Mike:
I had to slam on the brakes to keep Lori from having to patch him up after the practice.
Oops, I don't know that I ever thanked you for not running over me.

Mike:
Well Gomer did but I turned inside him and got about 5th or sixth in the hole.
Umm...I got the holeshot in the +30C/D qualifier and stayed in front for the whole race.&nbsp; Must have been someone else that pinched you as they passed. :confused:

Ivan:
I rode tentative in plastic
I guess you should have worn your usual latex instead of the plastic.

I hadn't raced in almost a year.&nbsp; Danny and Ricky were at their father's and Tommy's not ready to race yet, so it was just me racing...a lot easier keeping trach of 2 classes than 6!&nbsp; Ivan arrranged the vehicales and saved me a prime parking spot.&nbsp; I really like the Top Gun track.&nbsp; They tamed it down some...mustly tabletops now and they've shortened and filled in the pit jump that used to be scary!

As Mike mentioned, I got last gate pick in our +30 qualifier, but no one took the most inside gate!&nbsp; It's a huge advantage to be inside on that start.&nbsp; The first gate (on the right side) is not level, though, and I thought I would slide into Mike as soon as I got on the gas.&nbsp; I got the holeshot (not unusual) and stayed out in front (very unusual).&nbsp; I normally get great starts and work my way back.&nbsp; That time I was out in front and kept waiting for people to start blowing past me.&nbsp; I had no one in front of me and 16 hungry old men behind me.&nbsp; I didn't know how fast to go!&nbsp; I never really pushed hard all night.&nbsp; I just rode normally and concentrated on accelerating into the corners and covering all lines so as not to get passed.

After the +30 I had to go straight to the line for the +35 (1 race in between them).&nbsp; Even though it was only 3 laps for the qualifiers, I am very out of shape and was breathing hard.&nbsp; I wheelied off the start, finally got the front end down, and came out of the first turn in 5th.&nbsp; About halfway through the first lap I tried to make an inside move on a guy through a long left hand sweeper.&nbsp; In the previous race, I had my choice of where tog o and I rode the outside where it was dry and had a small berm.&nbsp; BIG mistake trying the inside.&nbsp; The quads ran before us and it was smooth, wet, and slick on the inside.&nbsp; I had a 4th gear lowside.&nbsp; I got nervous as it kept stepping out because I was worried that it might catch and highside me.&nbsp; Slid for a while then got up in last place.

I decided that I really wanted to try to do well in our smack talk class so I wouldn't even bother trying to run the +35 main.

In the +30 main I got the same gate, but wheelied and ended up 4th in the first turn.&nbsp; After about a 3rd of a lap I passed the guy who had gotten 2nd in the qualifier.&nbsp; The first two guys walked off and left me and the 4th place guy stayed pretty close the whole race.&nbsp; I thought of MX547 on several occasions as I tried to ride W*I*D*E! :)

I wasn't going to, but I felt decent after the +30 main so I went ahead and lined up for the +35.&nbsp; I figured I might just run the start and then pull off if my chest started hurting from breathing again.&nbsp; We were the first gate drop in that race so we had the left (inside) set of gates.&nbsp; For some reason, no one lined up near the fence on the very inside.&nbsp; I was behind a few guys coming into the first turn, but I had the inside and made it past them and came out of the first turn with the holeshot.&nbsp; I led for about a 3rd of a lap and a guy passed me on the inside before the backside double.&nbsp; He was GONE!&nbsp; I think he was running the +30A/B class.&nbsp; I stayed where I was and held up a bunch of people for most of the race.&nbsp; About 2/3 of the way through it two guys passed me like I was tied to the fence.&nbsp; I didn't know if they were in my class and got bad starts or if they were from the second gate drop and had worked their way up.&nbsp; Must have been from my class because I ended up finish 3rd.

Had a great time, got to see many people I hadn't for almost a year, and got to meet some new ones.&nbsp; Sorry we didn't get to spend more time, Carp...it was kind of hectic getting ready.&nbsp; MikeT's friend of the 400EX impressed me.&nbsp; That is just too much machine to be throwing through the air and trying to muscle around the turns.&nbsp; Vince rode better than I've ever seen him.&nbsp; I expected him to get his usual good start, but I didnt' expect him to keep up his speed for the whole race!

I tried to get a few pics, but the lens was dirty and I was shooting straight into the lights, so we'll see if I can get them up later.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Gomer: Umm...I got the holeshot in the +30C/D qualifier and stayed in front for the whole race. Must have been someone else that pinched you as they passed.

I never said I passed you big boy. I just turned inside you. You railed the outside and kept up front the whole time.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
You guys are all so lucky I was not able to make it. :) Sounds like everyone had a great time, surprisingly I haven’t seen any of the usual smack talking emails in the background. Everyone getting along? Vince, did you take Gomers sammich? The back is no better, but I did the job trimmed out and I did get some stuff done around the house, as well as ^$#@%$ taxes finished up. :whiner: Glad to hear everyone ran safe, I thought about you guys all day Saturday and was really bummed out, but maybe in a week or two I'll be back on the bike. Tried to take the Harley out Saturday evening, but had to turn around as the pain was too intense. Three weeks for the next TG race ... May 3rd, right? I'll keep my fingers crossed.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Vince didn't have to take Gomer's sandwich because Lori was handing out hot noodles and Hot Dogs! Thanks Lori!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
LOL, and he got both wheels in the air simultaneously.

I give him 5 years max and he'll be beating me too.

Carp824

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2002
Sorry I did not get to come up and talk to you guys more. I had some family there at the race and I spent some time with them. Hopefully, next time I can come over there and talk with you. Just don't harass me too bad.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
My spode friends......... :laugh: Glad to hear everyone did well and came home in one piece. :thumb: I as well thought of ya'll on Sat. I contemplated coming as a cheerleader w/Jim as well since I have been banned from MX, but did not get the opertunity. I had the spartan cheerleader outfitts out and ready to go too.......what a shame, maybe next time........ :think: :scream:

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
Glad everybody had a good time, I hope I can make it to the next race. I might have broken some bones in my thumb and near my wrist but I'm hoping that it's just bruised and I can't see it. Just when I was about to go ride at the track down the street from me. Somebody put a no riding curse on me.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I found some more of everyone. The only ones of me are on the start. James has a good one and Mike T has a good one. Billy has quite a few good ones.

I think the camera man loved Gomer though... lots of pics of him :)

Gomer
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_8404.jpg
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_8422.jpg
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_8622.jpg
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_8622.jpg
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_9008.jpg
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_9020.jpg

James
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_8605.jpg

Mike T.
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_8408.jpg
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_9015.jpg

Billy
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_8508.jpg
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_8520.jpg
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_8519.jpg
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_9051.jpg
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_9076.jpg

Gomer holeshot... look at the right (969). Wrench (717) and I (944) are in the start too.
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_8998.jpg
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_8999.jpg
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_9000.jpg
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_9001.jpg
http://www.ncdirtrider.com/graphics/topgun041203/img_9002.jpg

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Yep, I'm even going to run Unlimited C so I can run with Andy, John Arnett, and some smelly kid!

We're taking bets on whether or not Ivan can set *yet another* record for changing clothes the most at a race. :o

Top Bottom