Topend Rebuild

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
I am currently rebuilding my 2001 CR250 topend. The cylinder is marked an "A". I ordered a vertex piston kit, but they sent a "B" piston. I see that it measures 0.010 inch larger than the "A" piston. Will the "B" piston work in my engine? I checked Eric Gorr's site and it talks about oversize pistons and this is what it said
"must measure the cylinders bore at the smallest point and allow .002 inches clearance between the piston and cylinder."
If I have the 0.002 inch clearance will I be ok? What if I have more? What is the range for the clearance? Thanks in advance.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
The max piston/cylinder clearance is either 3 or 4/1000th's....check your manual. If you have more the piston skirt will bang against the cylinder wall wearing faster and it could make lots of rattles. Either get the correct piston or have an engine shop bore out the cylinder a few thousandths to accomodate the "B" piston

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
I measured both the cylinder and new piston. The clearance at the bottom of the cylinder would be 0.0018" and the clearance at the top of the cylinder would be 0.014"
The sheet that came with the vertex piston specifies 0.0025/0.0030" clearance.
Seems like my clearance is too small or will it work ok?

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Moto Squid,

IMO, if the cylinder does not need re-plating, it doesn't make sense financially to bore/re-plate a cylinder to correct an out-of-spec piston to cylinder clearance. Just send the piston back and order the correct size piston. The exchange may not cost anything.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…