topping out on steep hillclimbs

bake

Sep 20, 2001
I am having problems going over top of steep hill climbs, it feels very awkward and it feels like the bike is going to loop. This week I changed out the bars to a lower rise hopeing to gain a little more control but havent had a test ride yet, any techniques I should know about.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Move your weight back if you start to lose traction. Forward if your front wheel gets too high. If it's really steep and there's decent traction, you might need to stand with your head and chest well in front of the handlebars.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Try and get a better run at the bottom.If you have enough speed and momentum, as soon as the front wheel clears the hill, back off the throttle a bit and coast .

Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by jmics19067
Try and get a better run at the bottom.If you have enough speed and momentum, as soon as the front wheel clears the hill, back off the throttle a bit and coast .
MOMENTUM IS YOUR FREIND!
When I first started trying to tackle the really steep upgrades, I was looping out more often than I was making it. What worked best for me was getting a good run at it and standing up with my weight forward. The more I practiced the eaiser it got. Now it's all throttle, clutch and weight shifting, I rarely stand up anymore. Heck, I don't even remember the last time I looped out! (OK, that's a lie) If you're riding where it's wet, it doesn't hurt to spin your rear tire "clean" before you try the hill, either.

Top Bottom