Torched my pipe today

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I cleaned my silencer 2 weeks ago,and repacked noticeable change in the throttle response.I cleaned the pipe with easy off and started scraping did ok,but wasn't satisfied.I grabbed a propane torch and started gone to town today,you can see the carbon light up and turn like a gray color.Grabbed the silencer end to hold because of the heat and started scraping with a screw driver all the way to the bend .It looked like I was cleaning my barbeque with all the carbon coming out,blame some of it on the 927.I must say this was the easiest and most efficient way I have ever done this.Well I mounted the pipe and silencer back,kicked her up let her warm up and started cracking bthe throttle.The throttle response was about 40% better than just doing the silencer I am talking snapping to attention.You know we have all heard it and said it,"My bike is not sounding as crisp as it was before maybe it is the reeds or oil I am using or fuel or the jetting is off even though the temps are the same,or maybe the power valves are sticking a little.My opinion, the exhaust is over looked too much of the time,with the torch it was a breeze and I recommend it every top end,or in between.I am stoked are you stoked ;) ;)

Shift-MX

Feb 10, 2002
do you got a PC pipe? if you do, did the torch discolour it? I wanna try this alos, but am concerned (sp?) about it discolouring it. Oh ya its a platnium series.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Big Red- Did you heat the inside or outside of the pipe (dumb question?) And how far inside the pipe can you get? I would think you'd miss quite a bit of the pipe and the heaviest carbon build-up would be at the silencer end. Am I wrong?

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
The heaviest carbon buildup will be at the head of the pipe.

I did the same not too long ago and it worked wonders.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
The heaviest carbon buildup will be at the head of the pipe.
This isn't always so, in my gasgas's pipe the stinger area was most affected, and the carbon was so bad it couldn't be chipped away, I had to take the pipe to a machine shop and have them bake it (until golden brown :p ) and then they blew the carbon out, the stinger area was choked down from the size of a quarter to the size of a dime, throttle response was much much improved after the cleaning.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I'm gonna have to try this on my kid's CR80. It's got the original pipe and I'm sure it's never been cleaned out.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Shift,

Mine got a liitle discolored about 2 inches down from the beginning (head end). It was worth it to me. it certianly made a diference in response. :thumb:

T

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
This same exact thing was in the DirtRider mag a few or many months ago. I think they just heated it up and then let it dry, then tap it with a mallot or something.

kbud

Aug 28, 2002
i am stoked as well. i got my bike used and it was caked like ive never seen. i poured gas down into it and let it soke for about a week and it got alot of it out but i think i might try this to get the rest. i think performance is better than looks so i am not woried. thanks for the tip.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000

Gary I torched the inside,I started at the begining of the chamber,and worked my way to the bend and a little after.I couldn't get the screw driver all the way around the bend so I banged on the outside to loosen the carbon.I did the silencer end of the pipe also,but the carbon at the end was minimum.The majority of the carbon was at the begining of the chamber.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by Shift-MX
so umm...does anyone know if this will discolour a nickel plated pipe?

I did this with my stock pipe,I have a pro circuit also, if I have some time I will let you know if it discolors,even if it does I wouldn't worry about it ,get that carbon out.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I think I'll wait until Tuesday when I can take the pipe to work and use our oxy/acetlene torch w/ a rosebud tip. I can also repaint it then.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Did my son's CR pipe today w/ an oxy/acetlene torch. Got about a cup of carbon and gunk out of the pipe, most of it in the bulge of the pipe. Yes I had to repaint. Also cleaned the front pipe on the silencer, as it had gunk about an 1/8" thick.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000

Hey gary,you wouldn't think that much would come out,good job.Wait until you hear the 80 run.. :thumb: ARE YOU GUYS STOKED I AM STOKED.. :scream: :scream:

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I still think the best way to do it would be acid dipping. I had that done on a pipe and parts on a 4Trax 250R I used to own. everything looked like it just rolled off the assembly line. However, I can do the torch thing myself for free. :)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Gary B.
most of it in the bulge of the pipe.
If it was in the bulge, did you just heat the pipe through the outside? I have a propane torch and the "stem" on it is only like 4 inches long. I can't figure out any other way of getting to the bulge other than heating from the outside. Is that what you did?

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Mike, of course he heated it from the outside. When you try to heat it from the inside your torch will go out very soon. I think that is because you're burning the oxygen inside the pipe faster than new oxygen can re-enter through the openings. After the flame wnt off you are pumping propane into the pipe. One little spark and you have a nice sheet metal bomb!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
After heating the pipe and baking the carbon, insert an old chain into the pipe and shake it around. This will help loosen the hard to reach chunks.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by TM-Frank
After the flame wnt off you are pumping propane into the pipe. One little spark and you have a nice sheet metal bomb!
:scream: Thanks, man. I just wanted to be sure.

Do you think propane is hot enough or should I use MAPP gas?

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
I hot-tanked mine. Much easier, cleaner, and ready for paint.
Any Acklands or automotive machine shop should have a tank. I think it cost $40 to do my pipe and all the engine tin for a VW bug motor.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by MikeT
:scream: Thanks, man. I just wanted to be sure.

Do you think propane is hot enough or should I use MAPP gas?

Propane is fine works good,that is what I used. A small bottle is 1.74 at home depot or lowes.The adapter and the small bottle is 13.00.It also did not discolour the outside of the pipe.I did all my decarbonizing from the inside oem kawa pipe.... ARE YOU GUYS STOKED I AM STOKED. :scream: :scream:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…