Tore apart '97 220, now the rebuild begins

Gerg

May 7, 2002
I've torn my '97 KDX 220 down to the frame! After watching Jeff Fredette's video, I am confident I can put it all back together (gulp!) One motivation was to get the frame repainted. Now I just need to find a place to get it powdercoated.

Anyway, I want to update the look to the newer green/black models, rather than the purple. Where's a good place (on-line, please) to buy replacement parts & pieces. I want new plastic, but I'll also need mechanical parts-seals, bearings, etc. I have all the parts diagrams from buykawasaki.com, so I have part numbers. I just WON'T deal with my local dealer, so I want a good on-line source for stuff. I see some plastics and graphics on Dennis Kirk, but don't know where to find other parts.

In addition, does anyone know if a new black tank would fit on the 97 with a purple tank? I'd rather not try to paint it, as it won't last, I'm sure.

Thanks!

keetkdx220

Feb 24, 2001
Gerg,
I'm also restoring/rebuilding my y2k kdx220R. I went from green plastics to black..most of my parts i got thru rockymountain. They seemed to be best prices. pivot works bearing kits are very good and reasonable prices...i ended up buying all the bearings from pivotworks wheels,swingarm,shock,linkage kits. For plastics i got the frt and mx style rear plastics thru jeff fredette. I'm having my frame powder coated Blue to match my excels....As far as the black tank goes i was looking into that also...i checked out kawi website and the part #'s appear to be the same as the 2000. and i assume it would be the same for your year since nothing has changed i believe from 95 to present. Check out www.buykawasaki.com and compare the parts an call the local kawi dealer...good luck w/your build

Gerg

May 7, 2002
Well, the frame and swingarm go to the sand-blaster's tomorrow, then to get powdercoated next week. I just got all the bearing kits from Pivot Works, from the front whell back to the rear wheel. I ordered them yesterday afternoon, got them from UPS today! What service!

Meanwhile, I've begun work on the top end, but I've run into a small problem. Cylinder head came off OK, piston doesn't look too bad, although I will replace it with a Wiseco kit regardless. However, I'm having trouble with the exhaust valve. I can't seem to get the 2 rods to come out. Are they a slotted head rod, or are mine just FUBAR'd? I also can't get the bolt out that holds the center shaft, but I think I just need to find an allen wrench that will fit. It's a mess in there, that's for sure. It's loaded with sludge, which I'm guessing isn't a good thing. I want to get everything apart and then cleaned really well.

One other thing I've noticed-the top-end gasket kit I bought from Dennis Kirk doesn't have a gasket for the resonator cover. Is that common, or did I just get a raw deal?

Top Bottom