TORO Race #104 - 4L ranch - LONG

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Well - Here I am again writing about the last race. What can I say?
The TORO guys put together a very challenging track that was somewhere between 8-9 miles (closer to 9) that was rocky, hard pack, loamy, lined with those wonderful mesquite trees, whooped-out, with up-hills and down-hills - basically everything.

Saturday - Twinspar and his 2 sons, Taraker, me and my twins all headed out to the 4L ranch on Saturday morning. We got there with just enough time to unload the bikes, sign up, and make practice. My neighbor Pearce would show up later with his 2 kiddos as well.

During Saturday's practice I wasn't too enthused about the track, but that would change the more I rode it. The weather was great, but the wind was kicking up and there was a bit of dust. I got in 2 laps during practice (and managed to get by Taraker 2 times as he stalled his tractor - err, 426):confused:

After practice it was time for my sons to practice and race. They are in the PW65C class and they got 7th and 10th.

After the kid's race I headed back to camp where Taraker was cussin' up a storm because he flatted his front tire. Twinspar made the wise decision to burn up 80 gallons of gas driving back and forth instead of staying nearby or camping. :confused:

We all set up camp near Dennis' trailer (darnjr) and got fires and stoves going. Taraker was nice enough to bring some steaks so we ate well. Pearce (my neighbor) also had some bratts from Muenster and they were good eating as well. It got cold in a hurry and a few of us started out trying to sleep in a tent. Bad idea. It didn't take long for my sons and me to high tail it to the Suburban. Basically we got almost no sleep that night.

Sunday - race day. I went to the line with some trepidation since the track was pretty gnarly and for once I was wishin' my l'il 125 mini-bike was a thumper since the track was so strewn with rocks and loose stuff.
Twinspar made it back in time (some 40 gallons later) and he, Taraker, and I all lined up next to each other. The lights go green and we are off.

I had a pretty uneventful race until the last part of the 4th (and final) lap. I was dog tired and not really wanting to put up much of a fight at this point when I hear a thumper behind me. I am spent, so I give the rider the lane.

DANG! It was Twinspar. No way am I letting him by me. The race is back on. I fan the clutch and start to catch back up. I am closing in. 1 or 2 more turns and I am back where I was (no where near the lead, but not last either!).

Here comes a left handed berm where I can nail it and make more ground - come in to the turn, leg out, lean it, and BANG come out hard. Oh crap! What is this? Why is my back tire suddenly popping up and going wider? I hit a rock (or something) and all of a sudden I was WFO headed straight into a mesquite tree. Clutch it and grab both brakes - not enough - WHAM! I am lodged in the tree with a branch under the back of my helmet keeping me from touching the ground or my pegs. I had to put my leg on my seat and lift my head out of the tree to get loose. Now there is a big branch stuck under my visor as big around as a quarter that I broke off with my head. I yank it out and watch 2 racers go by. Dang it again!

I got going again and finished out the race. I never caught Twinspar, but I didn't get passed anymore either. I finished 23rd out of 34 finishers. Twinspar was 2 ahead of me as he came in 21st.

As for the rest of the crew, I'll let them tell their own tales.

On a side note - I just put my new DRN stickers on my front fender. My little run-in with the tree boogered 'em up pretty good.

Twinspar told me if I wrote a good post and didn't mention how he actually block-passed me and kicked me as he went by that I might get a new set for free. How did I do, Twinspar? :p (JK!)

All in all it was brutal, but fun!

-jeffd

Last edited:

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Well, I'd like to add allot but it all boils down to

Saturday (Practice) - blew front tire first lap :scream:
Sunday (Race) - Blow rear tire, was somewhere between 5th & 9th palce :(

I did enjoy the one mile straightway start, as did every other big bore thumper & the one KX500............... Rumor has it only one 250 holeshot any class at 4L :think

I hope Thurber is better.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by jeffd
DANG! It was Twinspar. No way am I letting him by me. The race is back on. I fan the clutch and start to catch back up. I am closing in. 1 or 2 more turns and I am back where I was (no where near the lead, but not last either!).

Catch back up? Pffft! I came out of the start with only 5 bikes behind me, the last 5! :eek: (damn 250F's and the quirky starting).

I was pleased with my first offroad experience. All I wanted to do was finish... even if it was in last. I've never ridden anything but MX tracks so it was a suprise when I got there. It didn't help much when Taraker asks, "Did I tell you there were rocks here?" NO! But I saw plenty the closer we got to Jacksboro. "Did I tell you that this is probably the roughest course in the series?" Uhhh... NO! "You sure picked a good one to learn on!" There's nothing like good friends to lay it on the line for you (well after you are committed). I was skeptical after practice but that changed during the race. I really started feeling comfortable with limbs banging me in the head, loose rocks, and all the turning! I now know why offroad riders corner so well. I don't think I have cornered that much in such a short amount of time.

The most memorable experience was catching Jeff, having him wave me by, and then realize the mistake he just made. I heard him back there for a bit but then it got quiet... real quiet. I guess that's what happens when a young'un realizes that he's been passed by an aged offroad virgin and tries to make up for his mistake (even though the babyF would have left the 125 in the dust on the straight. :p )

I can't wait for the lap times. I swear my last lap was my fastest and I still had at least one more lap in me. Course it could be that all those wimpy panty waist boys were running out of steam and passing them made it seem like a faster lap. :)

All I can say is.... "I'll be back!". It was a blast and I now know what the old helmet is good for.

Last edited:

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Re: Re: TORO Race #104 - 4L ranch - LONG

Originally posted by TwinSpar
The most memorable experience was catching Jeff, having him wave me by, and then realize the mistake he just made.

So let me get this straight, you came from behind & Jeff waved you by because the sound of the baby thumper scared him & his mini bike.:scream:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Re: Re: Re: TORO Race #104 - 4L ranch - LONG

Originally posted by taraker

So let me get this straight, you came from behind & Jeff waved you by because the sound of the baby thumper scared him & his mini bike.:scream:

I guess... scared him all the way up into a tree as well. :eek:

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
It is getting really deep in here. :scream:

Yup. I made a rookie mistake. :o This only my 3rd time to race (the 5th time in my life). I will improve - but you old farts have probably reached the pinnacle of your abilities many many moons ago. :eek:

Twinspar, next race I will own you. That is if you ain't too skeered to come and run 'em again. :p

Taraker - haven't you been doing this for a couple of years? What are you still doing riding in the C class??? :eek:

-jeffd

Last edited:

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
On another note:

I would like to say thanks to all of the good folks that run and race in TORO. From Dennis letting my kiddos ride his 4-wheeler, to those that helped take down my tent, etc. The kids and I had a good time after the races running around w/ Eric (yzguy15) and his dad. It is the good folks like these that make the events so enjoyable.

I would also like to give recognition to Scotty Hanes and his shop "The Performance Factory" for getting my tranny back together in rapid time so I could race (and go make rookie errors :eek: ) after having nuked my 5th gear. If you guys in the DFW area ever need any work done on your bikes I highly recommend you go see Scotty.

-jeffd

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
I might as well jump in on this……
I took my Dad out to the race with me this time as he’s never been and he wanted to be sure and thank all of you. He had no idea how much fun it was and how friendly the people are. Thanks
On race day, after a good nights rest on my bed in my heated camper (sorry guys) I got up ready to race. I led Taraker and Jeffd on the parade lap but I wanted to make sure I didn’t go too fast so I had to keep looking back. (just kidding) Although after the parade lap Taraker told me he liked riding behind me….especially when I stood up. I told him to get used to riding behind me.
At the start, my trusty green KLX fired up on the first kick but then I killed it so I had to start the drill again and started dead last. I was convinced that my top ten finish was now a pipe dream and I would be sleeping in the garage that night. (my punishment for spending so much time and money on racing and not getting the top ten)
So off I went in search of riders in my class. It seemed like there was always someone in front of me that I was trying to catch. At one time I went wide to let a faster rider by and someone in my class passed me. It took a lap and a half to get back by him but we passed several others in the process. When I saw the white flag I decided to try and make my last lap my fastest. With about 2 miles left to the finish, I came up on TWO guys in my class and tried like mad to get around them but just couldn’t do it before the barrels. I was hoping that I got top ten but my Dad said there were a lot of people in front of me.
So right before they started the Pros, they got my class result posted and I ended up with a 5th place!!! My best finish ever. I was 15 seconds behind 3rd in the barrels. If only I’d had a better start. I should also point out that my fist lap time was 2 minutes faster than Taraker’s. So he didn’t get a chance to go by me so fast that it sucked the air out of my lungs and made me dizzy. Maybe next time ‘raker.
Anyway, props to Toro and Preacher Jim for putting on an excellent event.
Oh, and did you see how fast Will P. was going? And did you see him slide through the first check with his brakes on and the ensuing cloud of dust? Excellent technique. It almost looked like an honest mistake ; )
Dennis

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
Jeff,
You forgot to mention that I let all the kids play Supercross on my playstation.
Now THAT'S camping!

mhall

Aug 7, 2001
Props to Will for winning our class and not Bert, but I'd like to also pat myself on the back. After starting after the class that lines up behind us (thank you 426) I took third, almost passing A125 for second while he wheelied for the camera on the finish straight. My best race by far of the season, except for the start. Dang 426!

Mason Hall A117

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
Nice job Mason!
My Dad, who knows nothing about dirt bikes, did notice that there seemed to be one of those blue bikes on almost every line that just didn't want to cooperate. Watching you guys come around that sweeper and down the straight was incredible. I caught a few classes on video.
Dennis

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
It was a great course. I really enjoyed the rocks and the dust, the pain, the agony, and the humiliation. I rode four laps with a blown fork seal on the compression leg, which was fairly entertaining all over the course, but particularly so in the whoops. At the end of the race my hands weren't too badly cramped. We got them off the bars with the Jaws of Life.

Didn't stick around for the results, so I don't know yet how I finished. Near the back, I imagine. We jetted out of there right after the C race and headed for Muenster, like the fun hogs we are. Got there for the last four hours' riding, and had a great time there as well.

I have to say that half the fun of the races is all the pleasant company. It was nice meeting Don and his boys, Jesse and Nicholas, and our other neighbors (at camp), John and his son, Tref. Tripp Glenn from DRW KTM helped us out with some fork oil at the last minute; thanks, Tripp.

Thanks also to Will and the rest of the TORO staff for a great event. The series has been fantastic this year. By the way, I also loved the long, flat-track section after the start. I may have been slow on the rest of the course, but nobody passed my KTM 300 on that last straight. It was really running crisp, and I had it absolutely tapped out on that straightaway. Loved it.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Well, sorry for taking so long to reply to you guy's thread. Oh what a time I had. Practice went well for me, got 2 laps in. Hung out with the Team Tore Up guys on Saturday night, didn't even know yall were there. By the way, I look forward to meeting you Twinnie, I reckon at Thurber. I'll be one of the bozos in the TORO Staff Shirts, acting like I know what's goin on.

Anyways, back to the race. Got a good night's sleep in the back of the Surburban, woke up, skipped the parade lap, yet still feeling pretty good. Started the ole' girl up.... fouled plug. Scrambled around the pits looking for a kind soul to give me a plug (thanks to that guy, whoever you are, btw, we got the nicest ppl around). After I got my plug changed and bike running, headed to the start.

Decent start, towards the back. I would have been at least mid pack, but I got caught in a monstrous cloud of dust in the sweeper and couldn't see anything. Really rode pretty decent for the most part. Very few mistakes, only one fall over. Didn't get caught by any open riders till the end of the 1st lap, and the over 30's and over 40's didn't catch me until the end of the 2nd lap. I always ride bad for like half a mile to a mile after ppl start catching me, I guess it just gets inside of my head. Did I mention that my springs are too soft and my suspension was just beating the crap out of me on all the rocks and braking bumps? Well they are, and it was. Man, my shoulders still hurt. No worries there though, that's being attended to.

Anyways, fast forward to the last lap. I'm still surviving trying to finish, when I frickin run out of gas just after the 7 mile marker. Sweeper gave me a ride to the Lambert's camp (thanks Chase) which wasn't far, and Jeremy Lambert (did I mention we've got the best ppl around) gave me some gas and a ride back to my bike so I could finish. The finish was more for a moral victory since I was too late to be scored, oh well.

As soon as I was finished I changed out of my jersey and headed back to the scoring trailer and reported for my duties. I worked the Ladies/Minis race which is always interesting. You'd be surprised at the trouble some of them have going through the chutes. Then my old man and I wandered around with Jeff and his kids to watch the fast guys. We also ran into Dennis. Congrats on the 5th place by the way.

I guess that's it. It was a very eventful weekend. As of now, my bike is sitting at SMS Racing in Denton waiting to be attended to by Brian. I'm getting some heavier springs, shock rebuild, and getting my jetting and such straightened out. Once I get the right springs for my weight, you boys better watch out. LOL, yea right. Maybe we could run practice together or something at Thurber?

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Taraker, what exactly happened to your tire? You know the Overall C winner (also the guy that won my class) rode 3 laps with a flat rear.... :p

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by yzguy15
By the way, I look forward to meeting you Twinnie, I reckon at Thurber.

Looking forward to meeting you as well. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make Thurber but should be at Bonita for the last race. Next year it's on to the 40+ class for me. :)

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Ahh gonna move up to the Old Old man's class next year. I'm sure my dad will be thrilled to learn of even more competition. Does anybody know when the races are gonna start next year? Like about when the first race will be?

Matt, I understand now. I was just giving you a hard time. Hopefully the DRN boys will have a better showing next race.

Why no Thurber? Bonita is fun, everybody will enjoy it.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Man, I hope I can move over to the dark side before next season (I'm seriously looking at a big thumper for my next bike, hopefully before next season). I'm noticing that my lap times put me almost in the top 10 in open C, whereas I'm fighting to stay out of last in 250 C.

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
I'd heard there was some sandbagging going on in the Over 30 C group but that doesn't seem to be the case based on lap times. It does look like there might be some sandbaging in the 250 C class however. There's some good racing in the Open C class so come on over if you get a big thumper.
Dennis

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Wait till next year, hopefully...

I don't really know if there's sandbagging in my class, and I wouldn't accuse anybody of it. I've personally met Aaron Lambert, nice guy. Sandbagging? Not really sure. Lap times for the Jacksboro race don't show sandbagging in over30, over40, open c, and 250 c.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Well.... except for that Taraker guy... He's been at this C class for entirely too long. What's the rule (of MX)? Move up a class after two years in the bottom (beginner) class. :eek:

Top Bottom