2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Reading a recent post between Extreme33 and Rich. I started to say something in reply, but decided not to say something that might have hijacked the thread.
Basically, Extreme said he checked calibration of his torque wrench before he used it each time.
I'm just impressed someone actually checks calibration of the torque wrench before every use!! I've checked the calibration of mine exactly zero times in the 10 years or so I've owned it.

So my question to you (or "ya'll," around here) is How often do you check calibration of your torque wrenches and micrometers and what methods do you use or where do you take them?? I'll take it off the air..........

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I have never checked or calibrated either one, other than if its zeroed. And that is habit, when ever I pick it up, the first time a day. The crafstman torque wrench has issues, it goes back for a new one. The clicker, not the bent rod torque wrench. Both have adjusters to zero in to nothing. The bent rod type is iffy at best.

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
If you wind the tension off fully after each use the torque wrench it should not go out of spec in years. As a safety inspection tester and a Suzuki dealer (in the last 5 years ) we were required to send our official shop torque wrench to a registered certifier each year to satisfy factory Pre Delivery Inspection standards and keep Vehicle Inspection NZ happy

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I can see checking the micrometer often but as far as I know there's no easy way to check a torque wrench. Micrometers usually come with a calibration peice that measures exactly 1.000" or something, I haven't a clue how they do torque wrenches....

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'd venture most people don't even know they exist and if they did wouldn't know how to properly use either of them. I've let people borrow my calipers and then call to ask how to use them, then just not use them. The torque wrench has had similar results at least until the first bolt breaks then they call to borrow the torque wrench or find out how to properly use it. I tend to be pretty anal about proper torque values and replacing torque to yield fasteners. Then again I went to high school when you actually learned how to use these things as well as lathes, mills, welders and micrometers in shop class.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I've never checked the calibration of either of my craftsman torque wrenches and would have no idea where to get it done locally. I always back off the wrenches after each use.

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
micrometers and dial calipers need to be zero'd often as a change in temperature can affect them, the manual you got with the measuring instrument tells you how to set it before use.
Clean contact faces and close fully ( or onto the index block provided if they don't start at zero) then reset the scale if it is out.
torque wrenches measure a (rotational) pulling force at a set distance as the link above by ellandoh explains
10 ft lb means a 10 pound force pulling on a 1 foot lever

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I was in the military for 32 years as an engineer. We sent all of our test equipment out annually for calibration, this included torque wrenches, mikes, meters & gauges, etc. I calibrate my own mikes at home with standards. My meters, gauges, and torque wrenches are not getting any love.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
As long as you don't beat on your (good quality) torque wrenches and back them down when done they'll stay close enough for 99% of your garage duties. Getting things evenly torqued is usually more important than being acurate to the ft/lb, in other words a slightly off torque wrench is better than no torque wrench at all. Now as far as micrometers go, if it's not spot on it's useless.

Top Bottom