Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Well its been a tough past week/weekend for me and my family and one that almost ended with me not in it. My grandpa pasted away thursday night so it has been rough around here. I needed to get away so i went riding sunday afternoon between viewing at the funeral home. Told my parents i was going out on my "normal" run which consists of a 20 mile loop or so. Shawn my regular riding buddy (well not the last 2 months) is out at Reserves for the week so i went alone. I've been doing this for 2 months now as i cant find anyone to ride with locally. I know, not a good thing to do and something i found out the hard way Sunday.

It had rained over 2" friday and saturday and i didnt even think of that when i left for my ride sunday. My run takes me across a creek twice. I came upon the first crossing and it looked alittle high but not bad. I was wrong! I dropped off the bank into the creek and everything but the handlebars disappeared. :ohmy: Luckly its not a wide crossing and i made it out without the bike stalling. The other crossing is not as deep but i dont know where the boulders are under the water. I went to cross and made it about half way before i nailed a rock and went down. The bad thing was the current was fast and the bike fell with the current pinning my leg under the bike. The water was deep enough that only my head was sticking out. Any deeper and i could of easily drowned. It took me several minutes to get myself free of the bike and out of the creek. I pulled the muscles in my right thigh, bruised my knee and tweeked my ankle but made it out with my life.

Of course i didnt have any tools with me as my head wasnt clear when i left and i forgot them at home. My cell phone was soaked and still worked but no reception. Took abit of hobbling around the woods til i could get alittle bit of a signal to call for help. I always figured it was no problem riding alone as everyone knows my route and how long i'm usually gone. Also figured the cell phone would save me if i got hurt but never took into account what could happen! If that water had been a 6" deeper i wouldnt be here today.

I drained the bike today after the funeral and had more water than oil in the bike. Sand in everything! I'm going to have to tear everything down and make sure its free of all water and sand before it ever gets fired back up. Just thought i'd share my experience. Lesson learned, dont ride alone! Probably wont listen to this as i love to ride and nobody around here rides much anymore.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Holy crap Chucke!! After all the water follies that you've had in the water I'm surprised that you still go near it. I know that I stay out of the water after watching you go through (and down) water at Paragon.

I'm glad your OK, I still owe you some roost and I'd look pretty silly roosting on your grave :ohmy:

That's a tough lesson to learn and I hope your story will help others that assume it can't happen to them.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I broke my ankle 2 years ago crossing a creek at Paragon. I couldn't see the rocks, and when I went down my ankle snapped between a rock and the weight of the bike (a rock and a hard place). If I wasn't riding with some friends, I don't know how I would have gotton out of there.

I'm glad your OK (re: not dead). You must have craped your pants thinking that you were going to drown.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
:( Chucke! What were you thinking...? :(

I'm glad you made it out okay and are here to post about it.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I can see the need to get out and get away from things for awhile, but try to hook up with another rider when at all possible!
You're too much fun to have around to lose to some stupid creek. ;)

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Thanks everyone! I feel better today, right legs still sore. I got the bike cleaned up and ready to roll again but not near the creeks. :)

Gary, came close! LOL! When i knew i was pinned i started to panic til i realized the water wasnt going to go over my head. Not a fun feeling. I just count it as one of those things that makes you wiser.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Sorry about your grandpa Chuck. No matter the situation, Its never easy.

Because you learn from your mistakes, Im now considered a genious. Really dude, the river crossings sound scary. I too ride alone on ocassion, and carry a phone, but never think the worst will happen to me. But in the back of my small mind, I know there is that chance for disaster. Glad to hear your O. K.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Chucke - first and foremost - sorry to hear about your grandpa.

Good to hear that you are ok after your ordeal. We all know that riding alone can get real scary when you have a bad crash - hence the reason to always ride with a partner. If i lived a little closer i'd shoot over for a ride or two as i'm in the same situation with most of my riding buddies moving out of the area.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Thanks Jim! He said he had a nice 86 years and the way things were going for him (medically) he will be happier on the otherside.

Yeah its hard not to ride by yourself as some of those rides are the best. Your able to ride at your pace and go where you like. Only downside is things like this do happen and if something bad happens it can turn out to be alot worse if no one else i around to help. I prefer to ride with someone but that rarely happens much anymore unless i want to quad ride. I only have one local bike rider (Shawn) and i'm lucky if he rides once a month.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Chucke - Sorry to hear about your grandpa first of all.

Second of all, what would we have done with you if you drowned? Stuffed you in a gopher hole?

In all seriousness...I'm glad to hear you made it out of that debacle alive...Now that you've taught everyone a lesson it's time for you to follow!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
My sympathies on the loss of your Granddad. God bless you and your family.

You took the words right outta my mouth Sam!
Glad to still have you with us Chucke. I'd say go riding with your cousin, but. . . we know how you two get along at other activities ;)
I can see it now. .. "Chuck, how big you figure that jump is?"
"I dunno, try it!"
:yikes:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Thanks Sam and Keith!

Oh an Sam, its a groundhog hole. You've been out west too long that your hooked on gophers now. :) Keith, my cousin is afraid to ride with me. I dont know why. Anyways some friends took me riding yesterday so i got about 5 hours of ride time in. That felt so great to be out riding. Especially since i have to go back to work today. Sure going to miss riding with everyone at DW but there's always next year.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
My family is riding the roller coaster right now too. My grandfather passed away Thursday morning. I'm leaving Mississippi this morning for North Carolina where I'll be picking up our new adopted son (and visiting my family whom I haven't seen in 2 1/2 years). Then we'll be leaving North Carolina Wednesday for Arkansas for my sister-in-law's wedding on Saturday. :ride:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Jb, sorry about your Grandfather. Sounds like your going to have a busy week. Drive carefully!

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Sorry to hear about your Grandpa Treejumper
Good to see your still with us.
I know of two experienced riders that went riding on two separate occasions, each riding alone, crashed and both had to crawl out of the woods to get help, both are scared for life
Ride Safe
Tom

Top Bottom