Toy Hauler Travel Trailers

Lew

Lifetime Sponsor
Hi all;

My family bike tree seems to have grown and I ned to update my hauling and camping arrangements.  My wife and I have decided that we want to get a toy hauler travel trailer (pull trailer, not 5th wheel) this summer.  I am starting my research now and would like to ask for some input from those of you who have one of these.  What brand, what length, what floor plan is best, how are you arranging your bikes for transport, is gas fumes a problem, etc., etc.

My basic want list at this point is something around 28' with a bedroom up front, and a slide-out in the living area, and of course the ability to haul at least 4-5 bikes.

Thanks for the help
Lew

We have a 26' fleetwood tracker. It's a bumper pull model with a separate room for the bikes, i.e. - you can't access the bikes from the living quarters. We have a full bed and bath up front, then comes the kitchen with oven, stove, microwave, etc. Then we have a dinette on the left and a couch on the right. Then, above the area where bikes are stored, there is a full size queen bed.

We can haul 3 full size bikes and all gear comfortably. Because the bike area is sealed off, we don't get any gas fumes. The downside is that we can only access the bikes through the rear, loading ramp, door. This trailer is perfect for travelling as we can pull into a rest area to sleep without unloading or unfolding anything - just hop in bed. It tows well, although my gas mileage goes down to about 10mpg. I would recommend getting a 100 gallon fresh water tank. As a side benefit, it works well when doing regular camping (not bike related). We went to Disney World and were able to take all of our bicycles, floats, rafts. scooters, etc. Hope this helps - Mike

NVR FNSH

Subscriber
I don't think any mfg offers a TT toy hauler with a slide out. Unless, you are talking about one of the trailers where the bed slides out of the front - out over the hitch.

Also, what will you be towing it with? A 28ft TT will be pushing ~31ft tip-tip and won't be exactly light weight.

Brian

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
Originally posted by NVR FNSH
I don't think any mfg offers a TT toy hauler with a slide out.
i remember guy cooper having one with a slide out. i can't recall the name, maybe patio hauler?

NVR FNSH

Subscriber
Gomer,
That's a 5th wheel & it's a bedroom S/O. I haven't seen a 'toybox' (no separate garage) with a living room S/O. There may be a few TT with garage's (Patio Hauler makes TTs and 5th wheels - I have a 5th wheel) but I don't know if they have a living room S/O. IMO the bedroom S/O isn't worth much as it's not adding room to a community area like the kitchen.

Brian

AgentOrange

Lifetime Sponsor
Gomer,

that hauler was pretty cool but how big a truck would it take to pull that thing??GVWR was 15,000?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
Olddirt which model do you have? That sounds like the perfect setup for us as well.

Lew

Lifetime Sponsor
Well I have found on the internet that a slide outs in a bumper pull type trailer is almost nonexistant.  Kit has a slide out in the patio hauler, but it looks like it is back at the cargo area??  So I can see I have some comprimises to look at.  I still think that 26-28' is what I want.  The weekend warrior seems to be a pretty hot seller.  Still not sure if I want a seperate cargo area or common space.  Seems that staying in my length range I will want a common space one and haul gas and what not in the truck bed. 

I currently have a 2000 26' Kit travel trailer with cabinet upgrades, heating and cooling, self igniting water heater etc.  If anyone thinks they might be interested shoot me a pm.

I am still interested in what anyone who has one of these toy haulers has to say, so keep the opinions comming.

Thanks All
Lew 

HGilliam

Lifetime Sponsor
Lew, what are you going to pull it with? This will be a determining factor as to what you should look at. I'm on my 2nd toyhauler and 3rd tow vehicle. They have to be a good match to be safe and relaxing to drive.

Toolman

was in the market a year ago and looked at a lot of different brands and ended up going with the weekend warrior brand. There was no comparison (quality wise) with the other brands I looked at. In fact, the wife and I were checking out a new keystone tailgater and had the whole wall couch rip out and fall to the ground with the two of us sitting on it. Salesman was slightly embarassed. Other new units fell apart in our hands too- molding falling off, etc.. As someone here said months ago, it's really a matter of buying the one that will fall apart the slowest. We have 6-7 trips now in the WW, incuding 9 days in utah camping and riding and it has been great, though the Carlisle tires that came on the unit were complete and total crap (had two blowouts). Ours is 22 ft and I would not be comfortable towing with anything less than a 3/4 ton. We have 120 gal. of freshwater and you can't have enough when you're taking showers, etc.. with the family.

If you want some contact info. on a dealer who has some great deals on Weekend Warriors, drop me an e-mail and I'll give you the info. I bought my 22' as a brand new (demo) unit with an Onan gen. for $14,000. azbrown@excite.com

Patman - Our trailer is a 2000 model. Fleetwood quit making the Tracker but is still making them under another name, Prowler I think. We've had great luck with ours and have hauled it all over the Southeast to enduros.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
Well that would explain why I couldn't find it :confused: Thanks! I'll look into the Prowler. :)

I saw these Jayco Talon's at a local dealer. They looked real nice! I don't have the truck to pull one (or the bank account to buy one).

Lew

Lifetime Sponsor
Originally posted by HGilliam
Lew, what are you going to pull it with? This will be a determining factor as to what you should look at. I'm on my 2nd toyhauler and 3rd tow vehicle. They have to be a good match to be safe and relaxing to drive.

Toolman
Gilliam - I will be pulling with a 2000 chev 1 ton crew cab 4x4.  Infact I think the manual says....  If it has wheels tow it, if it does not have wheels drag it.. ;)

Lew