Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Hi all;

My family bike tree seems to have grown and I ned to update my hauling and camping arrangements.  My wife and I have decided that we want to get a toy hauler travel trailer (pull trailer, not 5th wheel) this summer.  I am starting my research now and would like to ask for some input from those of you who have one of these.  What brand, what length, what floor plan is best, how are you arranging your bikes for transport, is gas fumes a problem, etc., etc.

My basic want list at this point is something around 28' with a bedroom up front, and a slide-out in the living area, and of course the ability to haul at least 4-5 bikes.

Thanks for the help
Lew

olddirt

Dec 17, 2002
We have a 26' fleetwood tracker. It's a bumper pull model with a separate room for the bikes, i.e. - you can't access the bikes from the living quarters. We have a full bed and bath up front, then comes the kitchen with oven, stove, microwave, etc. Then we have a dinette on the left and a couch on the right. Then, above the area where bikes are stored, there is a full size queen bed.

We can haul 3 full size bikes and all gear comfortably. Because the bike area is sealed off, we don't get any gas fumes. The downside is that we can only access the bikes through the rear, loading ramp, door. This trailer is perfect for travelling as we can pull into a rest area to sleep without unloading or unfolding anything - just hop in bed. It tows well, although my gas mileage goes down to about 10mpg. I would recommend getting a 100 gallon fresh water tank. As a side benefit, it works well when doing regular camping (not bike related). We went to Disney World and were able to take all of our bicycles, floats, rafts. scooters, etc. Hope this helps - Mike

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I don't think any mfg offers a TT toy hauler with a slide out. Unless, you are talking about one of the trailers where the bed slides out of the front - out over the hitch.

Also, what will you be towing it with? A 28ft TT will be pushing ~31ft tip-tip and won't be exactly light weight.

Brian

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by NVR FNSH
I don't think any mfg offers a TT toy hauler with a slide out.

i remember guy cooper having one with a slide out. i can't recall the name, maybe patio hauler?

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Gomer,
That's a 5th wheel & it's a bedroom S/O. I haven't seen a 'toybox' (no separate garage) with a living room S/O. There may be a few TT with garage's (Patio Hauler makes TTs and 5th wheels - I have a 5th wheel) but I don't know if they have a living room S/O. IMO the bedroom S/O isn't worth much as it's not adding room to a community area like the kitchen.

Brian

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Olddirt which model do you have? That sounds like the perfect setup for us as well.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Well I have found on the internet that a slide outs in a bumper pull type trailer is almost nonexistant.  Kit has a slide out in the patio hauler, but it looks like it is back at the cargo area??  So I can see I have some comprimises to look at.  I still think that 26-28' is what I want.  The weekend warrior seems to be a pretty hot seller.  Still not sure if I want a seperate cargo area or common space.  Seems that staying in my length range I will want a common space one and haul gas and what not in the truck bed. 

I currently have a 2000 26' Kit travel trailer with cabinet upgrades, heating and cooling, self igniting water heater etc.  If anyone thinks they might be interested shoot me a pm.

I am still interested in what anyone who has one of these toy haulers has to say, so keep the opinions comming.

Thanks All
Lew 

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Lew, what are you going to pull it with? This will be a determining factor as to what you should look at. I'm on my 2nd toyhauler and 3rd tow vehicle. They have to be a good match to be safe and relaxing to drive.

Toolman

azcab

May 6, 2001
was in the market a year ago and looked at a lot of different brands and ended up going with the weekend warrior brand. There was no comparison (quality wise) with the other brands I looked at. In fact, the wife and I were checking out a new keystone tailgater and had the whole wall couch rip out and fall to the ground with the two of us sitting on it. Salesman was slightly embarassed. Other new units fell apart in our hands too- molding falling off, etc.. As someone here said months ago, it's really a matter of buying the one that will fall apart the slowest. We have 6-7 trips now in the WW, incuding 9 days in utah camping and riding and it has been great, though the Carlisle tires that came on the unit were complete and total crap (had two blowouts). Ours is 22 ft and I would not be comfortable towing with anything less than a 3/4 ton. We have 120 gal. of freshwater and you can't have enough when you're taking showers, etc.. with the family.

If you want some contact info. on a dealer who has some great deals on Weekend Warriors, drop me an e-mail and I'll give you the info. I bought my 22' as a brand new (demo) unit with an Onan gen. for $14,000. azbrown@excite.com

olddirt

Dec 17, 2002
Patman - Our trailer is a 2000 model. Fleetwood quit making the Tracker but is still making them under another name, Prowler I think. We've had great luck with ours and have hauled it all over the Southeast to enduros.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well that would explain why I couldn't find it :confused: Thanks! I'll look into the Prowler. :)

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I saw these Jayco Talon's at a local dealer. They looked real nice! I don't have the truck to pull one (or the bank account to buy one).

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by HGilliam
Lew, what are you going to pull it with? This will be a determining factor as to what you should look at. I'm on my 2nd toyhauler and 3rd tow vehicle. They have to be a good match to be safe and relaxing to drive.

Toolman

Gilliam - I will be pulling with a 2000 chev 1 ton crew cab 4x4.  Infact I think the manual says....  If it has wheels tow it, if it does not have wheels drag it.. ;)

Lew

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
We have had our Toyhauler for 2 years now and love it both for weekend races and extended family trips. We have the 2002 KZ sportsman coyote 22 footer. We have had it at 2 DWs - the 1st time it was mywife, son and I then this year it was my son, a friend, waltcmoto, his son and myself. There was more then enough room for comfort. I can haul up to 4 bikes inside with some jockeying and a tiedown system I made.
Last summer we were travelling almost every weekend to a race and once we hit the pits we were unloaded and fully setup in about 20 to 30 minutes. Trips to Florida in the spring are terrific and we have started camping for the overnight break instead of motels.
The trailer itself is very lightweight about 4000# empty and can carry about 300# in gear and supplies. We tow it with a F250SD power stroke diesel, but it could be hauled with a F150 I am sure.
Gas fumes haven't presented a problem as we usually haul gas cans in the truckbed so the only fuel is what is in the bikes and we crack the roof vent right above them.
Look around in my photo gallery and there are pics of the trailer.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
 :) Well I bought  a 2004 26 foot weekend warrior today.  It is the 2600fs model, the one with a queen bedroom up front, and 36 gal fuel cell with dispenser.  Wifey and I looked at the various floorplans and deciced on this one.  I was able to offload my existing trailer and will pick up the new ww this Monday.  They are detailing it out.  Looking forward to a test run on the 19 for a local hare scramble.  Then again at the first of Feb for another hare scramble, this one will actually involve staying a few nights for travel.  Thanks all for the input.  It helps to hear what others have, and are doing when making big purchases.
Lew

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I meant to post this a while back but I've been away from a computer....

Featherlite makes a toyhualer travel trailer with a living room S/O - I was quoted ~$60K for it. That's right $60,000.00

GETMETOCA - I'm towing my 36ft 5th wheel - 10K unloaded/14,100 GVW - with a '00 Dodge 2500 (3/4 ton) 4wd. My trucks GCWR is 20K and slightly over that. We just returned from Dove Springs, ~900 miles, and it tows fine at 70mph on I-5. Yes, it stops fine with properly adjusted trailer brakes & I have an exhaust brake. I went up the Tehachapi grade at 55mph in 5th gear (6spd stick).

Brian

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Lew, good matchup with the trailer and truck! You should enjoy many miles of pleasurable towing with this combination. I just didn't want you to put a 15k trailer behind a 3/4 or 1 ton and expect it to be a safe and fun combo to drive. It will physically do it but it's a handful that is no fun to drive. Been there done that!!!!! Happy trailering and good luck at the harescrambles. They were my favorite form of racing next to the old ISDT 2 day Qualifiers. The older I get the faster I was!!! :yeehaw:

Toolman
PS my tow vehicle is a FL60 Freightliner now. Easy cruising!

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
HGilliam;
Yes I should be fine. The gvw on the new ww is 11,100lbs. If I remember correctly my truck is rated at 11,500. I will be below however. The trailer itself (dry) is 5850lbs. I factored up water, fuel, bikes, and misc. food/cargo and have a total of 3625lbs. This gives me a total weight of 9,475 +/-lbs. My old travel trailer weighed in at 8100lbs, so not a whole lot of difference. I have towed construction trailers in the past at 10,000lbs without difficulty. I just need to stop at the gas station a bit more frequent, but hey...now I have a 36gal gas station on the new trailer :)

Lew

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Lew - Congratulations! How about some photos and use report after the extended harrescrambles.

Tony

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
We have a '00 2200FK(22' front kitchen) Warrior We love this trailer. I've hauled three bikes and a quad to Pismo and then had 14 people(and 2 blenders) inside most of the afternoon because of the nasty winds that can pop up there(for me 'been there-done that'). I got the best eye popper looks when I backed down the boat launch at the lake and unloaded/launched our jet ski then pulled into the campsite. I have found that 24-26ft is about the max for "developed" camp sites in Calif if you want your truck in the same site. In the 5th wheel models NVR FNSH has a great trailer with a full garage in the back. Next time I see it, I expect to see a drill press or ... with his bikes ;) :thumb: When we see other brands of trailer we always see little options that we wish our trailer had but, Oh Well. Happy trails.

Top Bottom