ajjacobs

Apr 29, 2007
Here's the deal, I got a few places to ride locally and I love them all. Never anyone there, peaceful, and technical all at the same time. My buddy says I "need to go to the track with him". Whats the allure? Is it worth the $50 for a day pass to run the track with a ****ton of other people on the same track? What say you all?

AJ

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
If you are not interested then why bother. You seem to have a negative attitude to the track and I guess until you try it you won't know. My son can ride woods or track and loves both but he prefers the track and the competition that comes with it so that is where he heads

ajjacobs

Apr 29, 2007
No no, not trying to portray a negative attitude for track riding. Quite the opposite actually. I guess I am asking what are the "positives" with riding on a track. Track riding is just something I have never experienced before.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If you like getting air and showing off then the track is a good place to be. If you prefer to keep your wheels in contact with the ground as much as possible then you wouldn't like the track.

I recommend that you go to the track and give it a try. You may like it, you may not, but then you will know.

Rod

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
$50 to ride for the day?? Where you at, Cali?

$10-$20 around here in Ohio/WV. $10 to $20 in N.C. as well.

Unless you're talking about racing - then around here it's usually $10 to get in, $20 per class to race.

I ride both. Prefer the track for a variety of reasons (being 5'4" on a 250f and tight off camber corners in the woods where I can't get a foot down are two of the reasons).

I love jumping and bermed corners. Don't find much of that in the woods. Plus, the track is a more "calculating" sort of riding - once you get used to the track, you can take different sections in different ways, you have to try and figure out whether you can clear that double or triple without coming up short, etc. . .

The thrill of racing MX is great, as well. However, I prefer to just go to the track on practice day and ride for about 3 hours. Much more time on the track and lots cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, I like woods, too. One of my favoriate places to ride has 400 acres of woods and a 1.5 mile MX track.

ajjacobs

Apr 29, 2007
Crap, hate to say but maybe I'm getting old. I will go for a day or to to check it out eventually, just not sure I'll enjoy it as much as riding with a few friends in a secluded area. on the other hand I am in LI, NY and finding places to ride (without trailering upstate) is getting harder and harder. Who knows in a few years, tracks may be all I got.

J-man

May 16, 2007
I live in a heavily wooded area so I have been around woods so long that I got tired of it and started going to the track. I also just go in on the practice days, I pay $20 and im good for 3 hours of riding as much as I want. You also dont have to jump everything and nail the whoops everytime, Most people I see like to just cruise and get aggresive when they want. You should give it a try for sure.

FNG

May 2, 2008
Riding a track is much more challenging than I had ever imagined it to be. Definately do it. Equal parts mental as well as physical. I actually start making mental mistakes well before physical ones.

Not sure if that means I am a moron (LOL) or just that it takes a lot out of me to keep focused.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
J-man said:
I live in a heavily wooded area so I have been around woods so long that I got tired of it and started going to the track. I also just go in on the practice days, I pay $20 and im good for 3 hours of riding as much as I want. You also dont have to jump everything and nail the whoops everytime, Most people I see like to just cruise and get aggresive when they want. You should give it a try for sure.

I agree. I like riding track but I don't go all out all the time. I'll do a few fast laps and then cruise to cool down for a lap or two. Just remember to hold your line so the fater guys can get around you. Most tracks around here are 20 bucks for the entire day on practice days.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
For me , the closest motocross track (about 7 miles) is much closer than any riding area, so that's a big deal right there.

In addition, you don't really need to go to the track with riding buddies. If there's trouble, people are around to assist. Hospitals are near many of the tracks in SoCal.

If you get into trouble alone in the boonies, things could get bad - even deadly.

I enjoy a good trail ride, but the track is usually more practical (vet tracks for me). :nod:

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Everything gets old after a while. Sounds like you need a change and are curious. Go for it. If you go on a Saturday practice before a race Sunday you're curiosity will be satisfied. I think you will like the well thought out, manicured race environment. Expect to be challenged. If you do well (have fun and not get hurt) then sign up for Sunday- if your man enough that is!!!

Good luck.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Depends on the track and what your riding.

The one i go to in Aztec NM is on BLM land.
A local club leases it for races, and maintains/ upkeeps it then.

When no racing it's free game.
I ride it to putt around and "play race".......on a Xr650...... :whoa: :rotfl:

Give it a shot, couldn't hoit.

Top Bottom