• 2 Stroke

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 4 Stroke

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
Here's a question that's asked over and over and doesn't have a right or wrong answer: What is better on the trails, 2 or 4 stroke? It's driving me crazy and I can't decide. I'm leaning toward the smoker due to the simplicity, weight, and the fact that's what I'm used to. I'd really like to hear some arguements (or experiences) for and against, a pro-con sort of thing. Thanks.

Caseys500

May 25, 2007
4 strokes lug better...been riding bikes a long time and on a tight single track a 4 stroke is more forgiving. Im gonna gear my 500 down one tooth on the front sprocket and give it a try though...it's a hand full anywhere! You will smile all day on a 2 stroke though!

Jan 3, 2007
Caseys500, if you want to lug put a really heavie flywheel weight on you 500 and you will see the light.

psustang89, personaly i like 2 stroke for ridding trials, and enduros competaitivly then i do with a 4 stroke. But i have more fun on 4 strokes unless its a big bore 2 stroke like a KTM300 or CR500 or something. I like how light the 2 strokes are and how the power is smooth in the bottom end and tracable not like a torquey 4 stroke but thats only my experiencce. Some also might say the E-start is worth the weight on a 4 stroke or if they say they ride a 4 stroke because of the E-start well then Ride a new 2008 KTM 300 or 250 because they have E-start and the bike is still 10 or more pounds lighter then a 4 stroke.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
My KTM 310 lugs just fine on trails and can really rip in the open, just like that 500 could (thanks Eric!). I had a 4 stroke before this and occasionally borrow rides on buddy's bikes to stay in tune on this topic. The biggest problem I've had with 4 strokes in the woods is they tend to blow through tight turns instead of railing them. I believe you just can't beat a 2 stroke for smiles/$$.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It's all personal preference, there is no right answer because we're all different. I had a KTM360 and it was great for what I wanted at the time (a bike that was great in the woods and fast in the open and could hit a track). Then I built my XR284 and it would eat the 360 for lunch in the tight stuff and is pretty much bomb proof. Which one was better or worse? Both.

crkid33

Jun 20, 2007
i agree with patman, its all what you like, there is no right answer so its kinda hard to get into arguments because yur not going to be right either way. but if you want my opinon, whats yur favorite color.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
what's your favorite color and what can you afford?? I love CRF450's and YZ 125's. If I had the money I'd get the 450 but I don't have that cash lying around.

Top Bottom