Duso02

May 16, 2009
Gentlemen, I need some advice for purchasing a trail bike for a 14 yr old. I know ATVs and Jeeps but I have never done the 2-wheel thing so I figured I'd ask the experts. Here is the info as you request:

1) He's a lightweight of 95 lbs. and 5'2"
2) Pretty physical but not very aggressive, at least not in front of me.
3) Riding will be wooded trails, hills, very few fields with friends.
4) He has ridden for quite some time on friend's bike,(ttr230) but I'd still classify him as a novice.
5) I doubt he will race, just recreation.
6) I have no problem wrenching on anything.
7) I'm most familiar with Yamaha, limited with Honda but that's it. From what I've read so far I'm thinking a 4-stroke.
8-12) We live in western PA with plenty of dealers of all flavors. I'm thinking used just in case it turns into a short "fad" with him, so I'm looking at around 2-2.5K max.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated as well as any recommendations on minimum safety gear. Obviously a helmet, but what else are riders wearing these days?

Thanks,
Lou

J-man

May 16, 2007
For his size i would recomend either a TTR-125 or a CRF150F. They are both very good bikes with low maintanance. As far as the gear part goes, Obviously you will want a helmet, Goggles are a great idea, Boots are really important they have saved my ankles so many times, And i would recomend gloves.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If he has some time on a TTR230 I'd look at a XR200 or maybe even better a CRF230 if one can be found or possibly a XR250. The XR250 might be a bit big but will end up bing something he can ride as an adult and might not be too awful tall. Besides a lowering link could easily drop the seat quite a bit. Basically he sounds like he's about to grow a bit so any of the trail 125s will be too small pretty soon if that happens.

Top Bottom