Trail Bike for Adult (minimal experience)

flightmedicmb

Aug 17, 2007
1) your physical size: 6'2", 215
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Moderate
3) what do you plan to ride : Fields/Trails- Family Riding
4) Do you have any riding experience? Minimal on 150CC and smaller dirt bikes trail only. 1-10 probably a 2 on experience
5) Do you think you will race ? Nope
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes, Very much so
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Not Really
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes, Honda/KTM
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? 4500
10) Do you live in California? Not Anymore
11) Your age? 37
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion: Have equipped wife and kids with bikes and have rode around quite a bit on her TTR125L (enough to know I need bigger bike). Here are my thoughts: CRF230F new at same cost dealer has for 2004 CRF450R. Don't think anything below 230 will work as CRF150 probably still smallish. KTM 450EXC (2004) or KTM 250SX-F (2006) also very close to same price as either of the Honda's. So, go new with the 230 or used with either the CRF450R, KTM 450EXC or KTM 250SX-F? Will never really be used for more than field/trail/fireroad type riding with family but do not want to wish I had have bought more later should anything change? Opinion? Will the 450's try to kill me and leave my bloody carcass soaking the soil? Thanks in advance.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Well lets just say the difference of the 450 and that ttr125l would be like a Corvette and a Geo Metro. You could go with the 230 but at your size you will be wishing you had a bigger bike in a week. If all you can get is Honda's and KTM's wait until the dealerships get a 250 4t , like the crf250X or R. As for KTM take a look at the 250 SX-F but remember that these bikes will need to be maintained regularly(alot). If you want to look around at the 2 stroke section of KTM see if they have any left over 200/250/ or maybe even 300 EXC's or XW-W's These bikes will suit your purpose well and will vary in power. That 200 is going to pack about the same H.P. as a 250F just in a 2 stroke manner. The 250 exc or xc-w is going to be a bit more than the 200 with more bottom end and a nice kick in the mid and top. That 300exc/xc-w is going to be like a tractor compared to most two strokes. It will have almost the same h.p. as a 450f but it will be less aggressive in the slower stuff. But once you hit that power band hold on because you will be in for a ride my friend. Just watch out for the first week or so on any of them on throttle control because all of these will be pretty aggressive bikes.

Jan 3, 2007
I think the best bikes for you would be the CRF450X, WR450F, or a KTM 300EXC. All of these bikes make really easy power to learn on and have lots of power to take you anywhere. All of them can be had at your price and are easy to owrk on.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I suggest you look for a used KDX200 or KDX220; they don't make them anymore and new ones are getting hard to come by. They are two-stroke so the maintenance is cheap and easy, the bikes can be had for around $2k even with aftermarket goodies, and the power delivery is very forgiving. I'm almost exactly your size and the KDX has worked well for me for four years. An XR250 or XR400 would be a good choice too.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
flightmedicmb said:
2005 KTM 450 MXC for $3400...does this sound like a good deal or is it too much bike?

Sounds good to me but check it over for the usual. It may be too much bike but just learn not to hit the throttle all the way and you should be ok. Its all about throttle control. Make sure you can maneuver it well to.

Top Bottom