KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I had a local dealer comment about some bill which would clsoe down some trails - something to do with those using roads? The delaer sounded quite worried about it. sounds like major MCCT impact. He siad it was being pushed by the DNR, was house bill 4010 - i did a search on the house web site and found nohtin relevant.

Coincindently this same general topic came up here in Atlanta in a recent newspaper story - a pasing mention was all though, and seemed to relate on a small local scale. I will try to contact a local DNR officer i sorta know and see what i can learn.

I thought i should at least give a heads up to the rest of ya meanwhile! LMK if anyone knows anything on all this! I dont want to loose any trail - whats going on elsewhere is bad enough! :|

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Mike,

I do not recall the name of the bill, but I wonder if this issue has to do with the Holton/Horseshoe trail. See other post.
MM

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mike

From what i gathered from the dealer it was something that would specifically impact local trails in Montmorency County. I thought the Holton thing (from what i have read at least) is a US forest service issue, not a pending legislative bill? or am i wrong on that? - and this guy even cited the bill number i noted. If it is indeed a bill, it is potentially even farther reaching (not that what the USFS is attempting is insignificant at all!) I did try to call that DNR officer but must have called after the field office closed (boy i wish i could work those hours!). I will try him again on Monday.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Nope, couldn't find anything relevant either. HB 4010 of 1999 had something to do with townships not being liable for trailways, roads, etc unless they wanted to be. HB 4010 of 2001 dealt with taxes. Didn't find anything specific to 2002 (although HB 4010 of 2001 was never passed, that I can tell).
Regarding the Holton loop - that is a Forest Service issue as the existing trail is on private property in some sections. Some people are not satisfied with the proposed FS changes to the trail (which appear to be based on current fed guidelines) - but that's another story. From what I can tell, I doubt the two issues are related.
It'd be nice if we could get more info from that Dealer to chase this thing down.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Just an update - I have called that DNR officer 3 times and left messages - he has never returned my calls. I will try to stop in the DNR office and I guess get a little more "insistant" to find out whats goin on!

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I just rode ATLANTA last weekend, and the only thing I was told/informed(by someone who helped the MI trail system many years ago) is that in that County there are not many DNR officers, like 3, and that they are sticklers about the rules. I have not heard about any closures, only about the shortage of DNR. I also found out that any vehicle can ride on the roads except major Hiways with out having a plate,etc. So I was able to ride the mighty CR on the road out there in the large ATLANTA loop, even made it to the giant radio/tv tower.
thanks,

Top Bottom