Ward

Jan 23, 2006
A couple of us have to go work in Traverse City this weekend. We are gonna try and get some rides in this Thursday and Sunday. Wondering how some of the trails look like West Higgins, Frederic, etc. Not looking for anything crazy since I am starting to ride on a new shoulder. Especially want to avoid 20 miles of sandy whoops.

michKDX

Oct 27, 2009
West Higgins is sandy and usually wooped out, not sure if it has been groomed or not as I haven't been out that way in over a month. I did however ride the Geels loop about a month ago and it was groomed up nice, it was quite enjoyable, this time of year it will will be a little wet though. The Geels loop is just south of Roscommon on old 76. I don't think that loop gets very much traffic. I have never been up to Fredric, so I have no comment on those trails.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I rode Frederic in mid July - it was in good shape then..though by now, I would expect it to be more whooped up. Leota, quad wide stuff...but i understand is in great shape. (just south west of Houghton Lake). I have not ridden the Kalkaska trails this summer - so cant speak to that - but fact is, you will drive right past them on M-72. you could maybe take a peak/short test ride on your way through.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Miss the north side and ride south side if you want to stay dry at geels.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Ward-
Mike and I will be riding from military rd North of Higgins heading west on the MCCCT saturday morning (10 ish). This will be my first ride since the knee mishap and last ride of the seasaon. My knee is only 75-80% so I won't be breaking any land speed records. You or anyone else is welcome to meet up and join in.

Trevor

Ward

Jan 23, 2006
Trevor thanks for the offer but we have to work all day Saturday. Please post up conditions if you can cause we are going to ride on Sunday and we are hoping to hit Higgins.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Ward -
All told we rode about 90 miles today. I recomend rinding the MCCCT from military rd west to 13 mile and motorcycle only trail there after. ~or start west of Higgins take MCCT west and ride cycle only trail (thanks LMC -I really like the additional miles of cycle only trail(s). I recomend you stay off the Higgins lake loop.

A great day for a ride, I am already looking forward to spring.

Top Bottom