walker187

Sep 1, 2012
I'm somewhat new to the site, and I have a huge problem. I have a Kawasaki kx 125 that I like to ride with other friends who have dirt bikes and 4 wheelers and such. My dirt bike is all stock, everything except handle bars.

The reason I'm posting is because I got threatened by a local man who owns part of a trail where I live and apparently he doesn't appreciate the noise my kx produces despite the 3 other 2 stroke cr 500/ kx 250/ and yz 125 people I ride with.

So, today after school, my buddy asked me to go riding. We had trouble with communicating where to meet so I went by this guys house once. The speed limit is 25 in residential areas and I was going around 5 to 10 mph. After figuring out my friend was at his house, I turned around and went back the way I came. As I was driving by, this guy had what I thought was a gun at first but I soon realized it was a bat. He started to approach the mouth of the trail where I had to stop to cross a road. Luckily, there were no car coming from either direction and I floored it until I reached my friends house about 200 yards down the road. The guy gets in his truck and speeds to where I am. He gets out and gets up in my face like he wants to fight me. I ignored his will to fight and just said yes sir and such while he cursed and said all this stuff about being too loud even though I went by his house not even 1/10 on throttle. He says "next time I see you ill wrap a chain around your neck!"

All the while, my buddies and his mom are standing right there hearing all of this. I also smelled alcohol on his breath. He goes back and watches what we do. There was a short cut past his house on a road. I needed new shorts by then. We drive past and I remain paranoid thinking he will get in his truck and run me over.

I went home and immediately called police. Also, I now realize what he was ding with that bat as I was going past his house. He was practice swinging it.

I had run ins with this guys before. First time I went a little fast, so I learned my lesson and went slow this time. I considered buying a go pro after that because I knew that wasn't going to be the end of it.

What is the best course of action? The police are investigating it and he might go to jail for having the bat and the threat.

I'm scared for my life. My riding experience is ruined. I am legal on the trails and have taken an atv safety course with valid registration.

Moderators, feel free to move if it needs to be.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Sounds like you did the reasonable thing by calling the police. Do you have a stock muffler? Is your bike noticeably louder than the others?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I am a little confused...are you actually riding on his land (trespassing) for part of the trail or is his land just near the trail?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
2strokerfun said:
Do you have a stock muffler? Is your bike noticeably louder than the others?

walker187

Sep 1, 2012
High Lord Gomer said:
I am a little confused...are you actually riding on his land (trespassing) for part of the trail or is his land just near the trail?

No, in maine people have the choice to have trails going through their property and this guy built a house next to a trail and claims it as his property which is unlikely. It was an access trail to the ITS.

walker187

Sep 1, 2012
2strokerfun said:
Sounds like you did the reasonable thing by calling the police. Do you have a stock muffler? Is your bike noticeably louder than the others?

Yes, everything is stock except for the handle bars and the muffler has just been cleaned and stuffed. My buds cr 500 is verrrrry loud.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Maybe you should leave your motorcycle home and go talk to the guy. If he is a property owner he has much more pull with local officials than you or your riding buddys do. He could get that section of trail closed down even if it is not on his property if he complains to the right people. Try to reason with the guy and ask him for suggestions as to how to work together. If he is a complete jerk and won't reason with you, it may be better to find a new way around his house. If it comes down to who has the rights between dirt bike riders and homeowners, it's the homeowner that will win out.

walker187

Sep 1, 2012
Ol'89r said:
Maybe you should leave your motorcycle home and go talk to the guy. If he is a property owner he has much more pull with local officials than you or your riding buddys do. He could get that section of trail closed down even if it is not on his property if he complains to the right people. Try to reason with the guy and ask him for suggestions as to how to work together.

I did that the first time and he flashed a hand gun at me and my friends. I said I respected him and his property and would not speed through like I did unknowingly. He never mentioned anything about sound. I already found a route by road that goes past his house. I'm so afraid to just look toward him now

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
walker187 said:
I already found a route by road that goes past his house.

:cool: Smart move.

You may also want to talk to your buddies and ask them to put silencers on their bikes. We are losing a tremendous amount of ground because of noisy dirt bikes. If everybodys bike was quiet we would have a lot more areas to ride in. Just a suggestion.

walker187

Sep 1, 2012
Ol'89r said:
You may also want to talk to your buddies and ask them to put silencers on their bikes. We are losing a tremendous amount of ground because of noisy dirt bikes. If everybodys bike was quiet we would have a lot more areas to ride in.

We don't go through trails at full speed or rev our bikes or make any noise until we get to the main trail. Even the game wardens said we have quiet bikes LOL. I also talked to the police as well other people and they said that this guy always does it. Threatening, yelling at people, bearing weapons. At least this time he will get taken care of.
I found out that he is not the land owner and can do nothing about the trail. :cool:

Top Bottom