Mixel

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Whats the best way to get the most out of practicing?  Should you just go and ride all out, as fast as you can, Or should you slow down a little and make sure you do the right technique and pay closer attention to picking lines?    The faster i go,  the less time i have to spot my line and get the bike where i want it to be, so i end up missing the line i would rather hit more often than if i was going a little slower.  On the smooth sections of the trail, i feel like i have really good control, and can get the bike where i want it even at high speeds.  Its the really rough rutted trails that are giving me problems.   I try to stand up most of the time, but there are some sections that i feel like i have way better control if i'm sitting.  I'm on an 03 YZ250F.  I've never raced, but i figure i would land in the C class.

drzgod

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2002
I assume you a practicing for hare scrambles? If that is the case, smooth = fast. They are long races, picking good lines leads to more time on two wheels, less time on the ground. It is really hard to make up time from crashing. You got to ride within your limits, then build your endurance so you can extend those limits. Have fun, don't crash and you will finish better.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Shamelessly copied from Ike De Jager's site at http://2020racingacademy.com ...
Many motocross riders mistakenly believe that riding around and around on a track everyday, will make them faster. What they are really doing, is making their mistakes more permanent. When the time comes to apply more speed, they will make mistakes which will more than likely result in injury. In actuality, what racers need to know is what to practice and how to practice in order to improve, to ride faster, and safer, with more control: speed is only a by-product of control.  If you want to improve your riding, you need to learn the basic techniques. There are 47 absolute techniques. Individually, these techniques will be explained in detail in this column: one each month.  This column will give you a course of study for each of the 47 absolute techniques.  To succeed in your riding, each step should be studied, practiced in a safe environment, to be placed into your automatic system. Your automatic system is controlled by the subconscious.  We have this system from birth and it is 600 times bigger, better, and stronger than our conscious thinking.  In order to race fast, you must be racing from your automatic system.  This then frees your conscious mind for scanning.  For example, when crossing a street on foot, you scan the distance for on-coming cars.  You are able to focus on making good decisions because your mind is free from thinking "left foot move, right foot move" when walking.  Your walking is done by your automatic system.  The same applies to racing.  When your skills are in your automatic system, you are free to scan the track ahead. By having your techniques in your subconscious, you, the rider, are free to look ahead and to make reliable decisions (about the turn ahead, other riders, jumps, etc.). 90% of all the information we collect comes from our vision.  The other senses, smell, taste, touch and hearing cover the other 10%.  If information comes visually too fast, riders are apt to make a wrong decision because they don't have enough time to calculate and respond. For example, if you look down and visually note the white lines on a road as you travel at 70 mph., the lines blur and are indistinct. However, if you look ahead, those same lines at 70 mph. are slowly approaching, and the rider has time to make adjustments and better decisions. Decision-making and peripheral vision are major topics to be discussed in future articles.
The way you learn these 47 techniques and store them in your automatic system is to do each one in a slow, controlled environment.  You must make sure you have each technique down perfectly because if you don't do it perfectly in the slow controlled environment, when it comes time for you to use it, you will recall it imperfectly, and you will be in trouble.  Keep in mind that the longer you practice a skill incorrectly, the more that problem becomes ingrained, and consequently, the more difficult it is to correct and the more time it takes to correct it.  A new technique takes 6-8 weeks to put into your automatic system.  Whether you want to become a pro rider, a world champion, or a weekend warrior, you need to learn, practice and understand the 47 absolute techniques in order to stay safe and enjoy your sport. Motocross is a physical sport, and it is also a mental sport.  I hope to help you develop your mental and physical skills in the articles that follow.

Top Bottom