Trail Riding, Tools and Extras Needed?

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
I decided to carry my own stuff this season, buddy was carrying all the tools and such last since I didn't have much... Anyhow besides some nut drivers (8mm, 10mm, 12mm), plugs, screwdriver (flat, phillips), leatherman, and plug wrench is there something else that I should put in my pack? I also have tire levers and an inflater but not sure if that's really needed or used...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
duct tape and baling wire. All you'll ever need.

Oh, and a ten pound sledge hammer. Unless there's some rocks around.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I run bib mousses or tire balls, so no tire tools.

Here's the list of stuff in my tool bag for the ISDE:

-Motion Pro tool bag
-8, 10, 12, 13, 14mm racheting combination wrenches
-fly racing 1/4" drive t- handle
-6, 8, 10, 12, 13mm 1/4" drive sockets for T-handle
-motion pro 5/16" tool adapter (1/4" drive)
-motion pro Phillips bits (#2/#3), 3/4mm allen bits and 5/6mm allen bits for 5/16" adapter
-1/4" drive flat head bit
-spoke wrench
-vice grips
-gerber multi-tool
-combination front/rear axle and spark plug wrench (Main Jet Motorcycles Australia)
-small chain breaker
-4 links of 520 o-ring chain
-2 master links
-spare clutch lever
-spare shifter
-spare rear brake pedal
-assorted zip ties
-assorted bolts/nuts
-quicksteel
-duct tape wrapped around spark plug wrench
-safety wire
-spare spark plug
-pen and couple sheets of paper
-spare copy of my timesheet
-cash in local currency

This tool pack is meant to be able to fix a bike quickly while racing. It's not the lightest out there, but I like to be prepared.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
the tire levers and inflater would be essential if you had a flat but useless unless you had a patch kit.

It really all depends on what type of riding you are doing and how far from base camp you will be. If you are just on a casual ride and not too far from camp you can continue riding on a flat and nurse a lot of the other problems home.

One thing you didn't mention which I consider essential is a spare plug, especially if you ride a two stroke. You can't nurse back a bike that just won't run.

A few spare bolts can come in really handy. On my bike there is one size that will work for most of places where a bolt is likely to fall out.

Money is always a good thing to carry. If you don't carry your wallet when you ride you should consider putting a copy of your license and health insurance card in you pack. Also include emergency contact information.

Tie wraps, duct tape and bailing wire can go a long way towards securing things that come loose.

If you are heading off on a long dual sport ride then the list SpeedyManiac provided looks pretty good but you should add new tubes and/or patch kit if you aren't running tire balls.

Rod

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
XRpredator said:
duct tape and baling wire. All you'll ever need.

Oh, and a ten pound sledge hammer. Unless there's some rocks around.

:cool:

you may also want some Zipties :nener:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
HD tubes & Slime in them pretty much makes flats a non-issue for me. On the off chance I do get one I have 6-8 zip ties.

Since most loops are less than 10 miles and I never ride alone I take a multi-tool and a plug wrench & plug if I am on a 2T.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
2strokesrock said:
:cool:

you may also want some Zipties :nener:

Ha, ya can't forget those...

Thanks everyone this gives me some idea on what I should get. I'll be trail riding, typically good distances from the car, too far to walk back with the bike.

It's odd that the tires aren't tubeless, I've been running tubeless in my mountain bike for years now and love them. Plus, they never really flat with some Stan's in them and not much maintenance to them. I might try to slime my tubes as well, I've used it in my mountain bike tires when I ran tubes and didn't really care for it much.

Thanks again.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
There are tubless options if you don't like slime.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
Patman said:
There are tubless options if you don't like slime.

Oh ok, I was wondering... buddy has a new CR250 and he told me his didn't come with. I just assumed they didn't make them or something. When I need new rims/wheels I'll check it out thanks, no need upgrade right now ha...

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Here is a good bag you can get...

http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/rear_fender_bags.html

Review
http://www.dirtrider.net/drn_tested/dbgear/fenderbag.html

It is sold by a DRN member and was used on the CR500AFX Internet Bike Build.

It is a good way to hold all those tools.

Personally on my trips to WBGVA I take very little. Just cash, credit card and some duct tape. Probably should take more though.

One time we had to repair the wires coming from the flywheel side of a CRF450 on the side of the trail and only had a pair of pliers, electrical tape and sharp teeth.

Ivan

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
Picked up a Hydrapak Laguna, it's got 800 cu in plus I can carry water with it. Use em for mountain biking as well. I'm def. going to snag a fender bag (and a new rear fender, current one is snapped off short) one of these days as well for the essentials that I will carry all the time. Why put it on your back when the bike can carry it ha... decent pricing on those as well and made in the us, nice.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
truespode said:
One time we had to repair the wires coming from the flywheel side of a CRF450 on the side of the trail and only had a pair of pliers, electrical tape and sharp teeth.
oh yeah? well, this one time I had to weld up a set of cases with two sticks of chewing gum, a nickel, a potato, and a pair of nipple clamps!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Neutec makes a new system for tubeless, then of course you have tire balls and the giant foam donuts :)

Top Bottom