Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
Im debating on which 250F is going to be my next trail bike, im not totally convinced by all the shootouts i have read, but the KX250F seems to be the best in the woods by virtue of the fact that people think it seems light and nimble and has alot of down low RPM hit. Any suggestions or pros and cons?

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
I figured that i might wanna give the 4 strokers a chance, i'd really like a cr250 or other 250 2t. Which were good ones with good years?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
250fs are great bikes....as long you have the ability/funding to keep up with the frequent maintenance. I rode my CRF primarily in the woods and loved it. The only thing I did performance wise was a 13.5:1 piston when to stocker wore out at around 50hours. It helped the low end a fair bit. It was very linear and torquey. It was well designed and easy to work on. It felt like a feather compared to my 02 RM250. I'm a smaller guy at 5'10 160lbs so I'm sure that played a factor in my favoritism over a 250 2t. I got rid of it only because it saw about 20 hours a year worth of run time. We have barely any open riding areas within 2 hours drive anymore so I decided to go with a dual sport bike instead.

As far as 250 smokers go, you shouldn't worry so much about which one is better but more about which one has been maintained the best/ridden the least. I see them a few times a year around here with really low hours....like under 40 on a 5 year old bike for 2500 bucks. You can find really good deals if you're patient and keep a good watch on the local classifieds and Craigslist.

Do you have any buddies with 250s? Try to get a bit of seat time on both 2 and 4 strokes to see what suits your style better. A 250f will get boring if you do alot of open area riding as they don't have the top end balls to the wall rip of a 250 smoker. They aren't slow by any means though.....my CRF would power wheelie in third gear easily, but the RM would eject you in 3rd gear if you weren't on your toes.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Great post Joe :). That about sums it up! Honestly, i'd have to be a little worried about someone who wants to jump from an 85 to a 250 2t. They are brutally fast, no lie. A 200 2t might be a better option? KTM, Gas Gas, or KDX.....

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
The best trail bike might not be a motocrosser. The two purposes are at odds.
Everybody wants the most power.....but that doesn't make the best bike for the trails.
You'll still get the MX'er, I've no doubt, since they do have some great qualities.
Much depends on the type of trails you will be riding; wide open desert present a different set of requirements than tight, New England woods.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
4-strokes are very complex motors. If going on tight, technical trails they work well. I know a lot of guys who have tried the various brands, and the Yamaha seems to have the most long-lasting bulletproof motor.

If riding more open trails you might look into a 250 2-stroke, the maintainance issues are less costly, but they're a pretty big step in power for a guy coming off a mini. Wouldn't recommend it for my son.

Top Bottom