tripdog7

Oct 3, 2002
Anyone have a suggestion of a good trailer for hauling dirtbikes? I'm thinking something that could handle 3 bikes and has a drive-on tailgate/ramp... and maybe could be used for the lawn tractor too. I have trouble loading my bike into the F-250 by myself. I saw some at Tractor Supply for about $600, but that seems cheap for a good trailer. Maybe I just need a good set of ramps...but it's still hard pushing up a bike and balancing it at the same time.

Any suggestions?

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
A friend of mine has a tri-fold ramp that is as wide as the tailgate on his lifted F-250 diesel and he rides his bike into the truck bed. But then again, I think he's a little off too! I trailer my bike on a small utility trailer, about 4' x 8' tilt-bed with no gate, using a wheel clamp to lock down the front wheel. I bought the trailer used from another riding buddy and he had bought it new from up in West Branch. In my opinion, any well-made trailer will do. I prefer the larger wheels w/ bearing buddy's for ease of maintenance and roadability.

I use a short ramp made out of a 2" x 6" and one of those ramp brackets instead of the tilt bed more often than not. My other option is to pop the front wheel and allow the rear to climb up on the trailer.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I have used a snowmobile trailer for years. Get the 101 (wide enough for two WIDE sleds). I use the tubular wheel "hoops" on mine and have hauled everything from 2 full size Motoguzzi's acrossed the state to four dirt bikes up to Wolverine. For a ramp, I seldom use the trailer tilt for dirtbikes. I use a 6 foot piece of 2 x 12 with a bolt thru the end of it. The bolt is 8 inches in length and just drops thru a drilled hole in the floor of the bed for hauling - NEVER LOST ONE!! The sled trailer sits low enough that it is a breeze pushing the bike up!!
My trailer is not covered but I think the additional lightweight cover for the 101 would come in REAL handy too!!
Just an idea!!
Woodsy

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Tripdog - I used to struggle as well loading my bike in my truck - until i figured out a few "tricks"

1. Use a ramp at least 7' long (mine is 8')
  2. find someway to hook your ramp to the truck so there is no risk of if sliding off the tailgate as you load. Moose makes a thing for this - or what i do is hook a tiedown to the hitch then to a eyebolt in my ramp.
  3. Set up your bike stand on the left of the ramp near the rear of the truck. Step up on the stand to see if it positioned so it is a comfortable step up.
  4. Get a bit of a running start as you approach the ramp.  as you approach keep your momentum up and step up on the to bike stand, then up to the tailgate of the truck. If you get good at it, its like one fluid motion.  If you need to stop on the bike stand, squeeze the front brake to  hold the bike in position while you get ready to step up to the truck.
  5. have your tie downs already in place hooked into the bed, and the other ends laying up on the cab of the truck, hook the one on the left side onto the handle bar, snug it up such that you can lean the bike to the right pulling agains the tie down yet so the bike stays put.  move around to the right side, hook that tie down. then snug both up like you normally would.
  6. If you are loading more than one bike...make your riding partner help!
  7. Head for the trails!

tripdog7

Oct 3, 2002
Thanks for the tidbits. I like the idea of using your bikestand for a step. Since I'm going to be cutting firewood for heat this winter, I'll probably get a trailer that has sides....and do the board with a bolt idea for a ramp.

Top Bottom