RazBarlow

Jan 24, 2001
O.k. guys here is the scoop, I will be going to the Midwest spodefest. I live in Iowa and will be taking a 2 rail motorcycle trailer with 8" tires. I am debating on what to do, will these tires make it there or do I replace them to be safe ? Should I buy bigger tires and if so, what size ? They are the standard 4 bolt hole pattern. I have heard that these small tires aren't for long trips, is this correct ? I need some experiance here guy. What do you think ?
Thanks,
Raz

xpwarrior

Jan 14, 2001
I've never taken the 8 inch tires on a continuous long trip over 140 miles but I have racked up lots of miles on multiple trips with no problems. If you want you can get 12" tires and wheels that will bolt right on. I took about a 1400 mile trip with the 12 inchers on a popup camper and didn't have any trouble there either. Just make sure to keep them inflated properly and carry a spare.

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
i havent had any problems with 8 inch tires, they just spin a bit faster most people that have problems never pay attn. to greasing the wheelbearings or keeping the tires properly inflated, also they have a new setup called a bearing buddy that is a cap that has a zerk built in so you can take your grease gun along and keep things well lubed, i recomend those to anyone who tows a trailer just a pump of grease before leave may save alot of headaches on the road, they also make 12 inch tires that will bolt right up to your bolt pattern "they will spin a bit slower" but id still recomend the bearing buddy greseable caps.

RazBarlow

Jan 24, 2001
So, Joe,
You have put many miles on a trailer with 8 in. tires ? What do you inflate your tires to ? I will look for the bearing buddies and probably get a spare 8" tire and rim to be on the safe side.
Thanks for your input,
Raz

xpwarrior

Jan 14, 2001
I run my 8 and 12 inch tires at 40 psi. The 8" calls for 60psi at max load but I tried 60 psi once and blew the tire out on a rock while heading for the beach. Never had any more trouble at 40 psi.

I only run the bearing buddies on my Jetski trailer because they provide positive pressure in the hub to keep the water out. The rest of my trailers I just repack once a year.

RazBarlow

Jan 24, 2001
So, basically 8 in. tires aren't really anything to worry about as long as you keep the psi correct and repack the bearings ? correct ?
Thanks for all your help,
raz

Top Bottom