Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
OK, as some of you know I have a new (to me) 7x14 twin axle enclosed box trailer. I rebuilt the bearings first thing and drug it to MacKinzie last weekend with 3 bikes on board. The only mishap was a flat tire from al leak that had probably been there from the beginning (at least of my ownership). It is a double axle, so no damage done and very little lost time, thanks to quick work by my son and supervision by Gene (tx246) and myself. :laugh:

It pulls like a dream, but close inspection of the tires left me thinking it is time to replace the tires, so ...

Brands and load ratings? Thanks in advance for all of your knowledgeable input!

BTW - There are P205 75 R14 97S M+S Firestone Response SE tires on the trailer now. I could not find a load rating on the tire, but from looking at the tread, I would say they are passenger car tires.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I have always used high qaulity passenger tires(michelin,continental), but you have a higher load rating with the double axle consequently I would stick to the LT tires just for safety.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Wow, great chart ...

I was correct ... Passenger 205MM 75 Aspect Ratio Radial 15 inch rim diameter ...

Is Champion a good brand of trailer tire? Don't know that I have ever heard of them, although that doesn't mean a lot because I have halfheimers, so I only remember half of everything half the time. That means I only retain a quarter of anything.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I had Champion tires on my boat trailer that I replaced with Carlisle tires just because that's what was available in a quality tire. I think my dad has Champions on his mega boat trailer and they seem to give no problems. I have HD tires on my tandem axle utility trailer because that's what came on it and I tend to put a good load on it when I use it. Unloaded it rides like a tank but with 10,000 pounds on it the stiffer sidewalls are a blessing. I strongly suggest sticking with a proper trailer tire because it's not a traction or steering tire your looking for, just something to carry a load, a softer sidewall car tire will allow the trailer to wallow around.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
My Wells Cargo came with goodyear marathon radials. Seems that the higher end enclosed trailers come with these - for whatever that's worth.

jeff

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I check my trailer tires more often than my truck tires, because I've had more trouble with trailer tires over the years.

Perpetrate

Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by euro gasgas
My Wells Cargo came with goodyear marathon radials. Seems that the higher end enclosed trailers come with these - for whatever that's worth.

jeff

The ONLY tire I use on the past 3 trailers I have had.
With 0 problems

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom