Randy288

Dec 1, 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 99 ford range 4.0 V6 supercab. top ranger that year I wanted to know if it could pull a enclosed trailer? I was looking at a 6x12 or 6x10

Thanks
Randy

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I pulled a 6x12 no problem with my '91 4.0.

Didn't really even notice it all that much.

Last edited:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
If your vehicle has a trailer-tow package you ought to be fine. The power isn't an issue with the 4.0. But trust me, I burned up a transmission in you're same situation. Invest in an aftermarket trans. cooler...not real pricey, and you can mount/install yourself.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
If your vehicle has a trailer-tow package you ought to be fine. The power isn't an issue with the 4.0. But trust me, I burned up a transmission in you're same situation. Invest in an aftermarket trans. cooler...not real pricey, and you can mount/install yourself.
Aah good point. I forgot to mention that the previous owner installed a new tranny. He put on a trans cooler and a shift kit. Also forgot that I had a tow package... :bang: It's been awhile since I had that truck...kinda wish we had kept that and gotten rid of Phil's Dakota 4x4.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Mostly dependent on how FAST you want to go. A very relative thing. It's possible to tow with a 4-cyl. It won't accelerate very fast, climb hills very well or overcome highway speed air drag at all (drag or turbulence factors increase in squaring factors), but you CAN tow. Your tolerance and patience of traveling slower is what matters. On of my employees is still driving an '89 Chevy Astro V-6 of mine that has over 318,000 miles on the original transmission. Probably 25 to 35 percent of those miles were pulling various trailers. I probably serviced the trans. at least 8-10 times but never added a cooler (probably should have!). I had to put brake pads on 2-3 times a year. Remember to brake early and brake often! Even with my Ford E-350 (1-ton) V-10 van, a box trailer causes a BIG drop in fuel economy and increases trans. downshifting dramatically at freeway speeds compared to a similar weight load carried inside or on an open trailer (including the weight of the trailer). Good luck and happy towing! Just remember to slow down, be patient, brake early, and service your vehicle more frequently. Oh yeah, keep your tires at the max. recommended pressure as well.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I endorse what SpDyKen had to add. If you're buying a new trailer, spend a few extra bucks and get the V-nose front on it... GREATLY reduces air-drag. I am a contractor, pull a 7000 lb. trailer with a 1-ton truck and still change trans. fluid and filter every 30,000 miles... good insurance.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I used to pull my 20x8' enclosed highpoint with my 3.0L toyota pickup. It was a little slow up hills if the trailer was heavily loaded but did great otherwise. Be sure the trailer has good trailer brakes (makes a huge difference) and you properly set up your truck with a good brake controller (if electric brakes). If the back of your truck sags much with the trailer hooked up some add-a-leafs or air bags can fix that up cheeply.

A 10 or 12' trailer will be no problem at all for your truck and with trailer brakes your stopping distance will be about the same with or without the trailer. When shopping for a trailer pay attention to the weight, they can vary alot, obviously lighter will pull easier and use less fuel, but will likely cost more. Highpoint trailers are pretty light, but are not being made anymore. There are some companies making aluminum framed trailers, but they are $$.

good luck and have fun:)

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I have not looked at trailers in several years so I'm not really up to date on stuff. I'd look at each trailer, try to compare quality of construction, weight, load capacity etc. If you only going to be carrying bikes load capacity will not matter much as you'll never get enough bikes in a trailer to overload it.

I've found the rubber torsion axles to give a very smooth ride (in fact the trailer rides smoother than the tow vehicle now).

And brakes are very importaint, I like electric ones. When combined with a good variable controller (~$100, goes in your truck) you don't even notice that the trailer is there when you are stopping. Another nice thing is that you can manually apply the trailer brakes should anything get out of hand (braking will stop a trailer from swaying or whatever).

Typically your best off buying a base model trailer and then customizing it to your likeing rather than getting one with fancy wheels etc from the factory.

One of the best things I did to my trailer was mount bike shoes in it. Very convient, no tie downs needed and no pressure on the forks:)

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Looks like an awsome trailer in the link, but the add didn't say anything about brakes. I suspect its an option they could include if you asked. I'd check into it. It will make towing less stressful and your truck brakes and steering stuff will get much less of a workout when towing. You could tow something that size without brakes reasonably saflely, but given the choice I'd much rather have brakes myself.

good luck

Randy288

Dec 1, 2003
IS IT CHEAPER TO HAVE THEM PUT ON OR BUT THEM ON YOUR SELF?? I knot I could do it I bet it would be that hard.

thanks
Randy

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Put what on? Brakes? I never tried to put electric brakes on a trailer, I imagine you'd need an axle/hub designed for it. If the axle that comes with the trailer can not accomodate brakes I suspect it would be much more expensive to do it after the fact than to order it so equiped.

It is usually cheeper to do the interior stuff your self, like shelves, fancy flooring, lighing etc. I'd order up a good trailer with brakes but without any other options and customize as I go.

good luck

Top Bottom