Scarbro

Feb 6, 2006
Hey guys, I'm headed up to Houghton this week and was wondering if any of you ever ride up there? any recommendations? I see there are some DNR trails, but they seem way too far south of Houghton, I'd rather be north of the canal. Thanks

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
Scarbro said:
Hey guys, I'm headed up to Houghton this week and was wondering if any of you ever ride up there? any recommendations? I see there are some DNR trails, but they seem way too far south of Houghton, I'd rather be north of the canal. Thanks

I went to school there many years ago (Mich Tech) and had a Honda 90 at the time - we made our own trails - all north of the canal as you call it - some really nice riding with all kinds of abandonded 2 tracks, etc. but you'd better have a lic plate as you'll be on roads a great deal and unless it has changed there are no closed loop (marked) type trails anywhere close to Houghton. I think Baraga Plains is the closest marked trail and it's wide open stuff you could do with mother's Jeep Wrangler.

Scarbro

Feb 6, 2006
thanks for the advice, I went to school there as well, but never had the cash to have a bike..... from what i remember, it's law less so i think we can get away with no plate. but we'll see what happens :)

nate_z

Sep 2, 2001
When I was in school up there (02-06) I would do most of my riding near South Range. There isn't a ton of single track, mostly two tracks but you can play around in the woods if it isn't posted closed.

Scarbro

Feb 6, 2006
Hey guys thanks for all the advice, we ended up going way north and doing the mandan loop (sort of) got very lost, but had fun and got up to cliff drive... the second day we hit all the trials between redridge and south range, good stuff!

stuckytough

Jul 7, 2005
Houghton

Bringing back some good memories reading this post. I was at MTU 95 - 2000. Had an 86 CR at the time.. Southrange was great. There used to be a home made motocross track of sorts in an old apple orchard near the southrange hill. Is that monster hill climb still open? Also, i heard someone bought all the land around cliff drive. I was up there a couple years ago and it seemed they logged a lot of the mandan area. Easy to get lost back that, but makes it that much more fun.. Had some fun rage-ing the stamp sands around redridge and gay too..
I'm hauling the bike back there next 4th July.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom