trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Alright, I'm looking for some drills to practice in order to improve my technique. Not that I'm getting tired of only running laps, I don't think it is very efficient.

Anyone got some ideas?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
No one? I know about the oval or 8 drill on flat terrain to practice certain types of corners as explained by Gary Semics in a video I found on YouTube. I was looking more specifically for some drills in whoops and jumps. Maybe there aren't any drills and I should just continue gaining more seat time.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Man that DVD is expensive! Is it worth it?

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
For jumps that you're already doing consistently and safely, try shorter and shorter approaches. This will help you be able to take an inside line when others are having to go all the way outside to clear a jump fairly close out of a corner. You may have to start seat bouncing to make it with a very short run.

For whoops, try different methods of going through. Try doubling through, try skimming, and try wheelieing in as far as you can.

All over the track try different lines than most people take. This will help you be able to pass in situations where most people mainly follow the "good line". Be careful on the jumps, though, because the less frequently used takeoff places usually are steeper and throw you differently than the worn down, common lines.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Thanks for the advice Gomer. I will concentrate on jumping as this is what is slowing me down for the moment. Hopefully it will go better with my CRF than it did with the KX (which had crappy suspensions). I'm ok to control the bike's pitch in the air, but not the side movements if you understand what I mean.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
From what I've heard, practicing whipping and moving the bike around in the air should help for when it becomes necessary to correct, but...

I can whip it a little and bring it back, but if it goes out sideways on its own, I have very little success in bringing it back. I have better results by preventing that by squeezing with my legs during takeoff.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Yeah, this is what is scaring me: Bike goes sideways on take-off. It already happened before and I took a nice spill which always comes back to mind before I hit a jump. I'll try squeezing the bike a bit more.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Don't think such things before a jump. You should have it in your mind that you will land perfectly. Doubt, indecision, and/or hesitation are bad things when jumping.

If you do get sideways, try to land front wheel first with it pointed in the right direction. The rest of the bike will follow it better if it lands first. It's difficult to make yourself do when things have gone badly in the air, but it does help.

Top Bottom