Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
I am trying to keep in shape for dirt biking, and just for general health. I don't have a trainer and without someone standing there forcing you to exert yourself, it is hard to really give yourself a workout. Now it is probably just being lazy:|, but does anyone out there have a method that works?

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Nope, self motivation is the best. I just think about how tired I am at an end of a ride or moto and think that fealing sucks, I want to beable to push hard at the end, when everyone else is tired. To do that I must be in good shape

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
find something you love doing, i like riding my bike so i go on 10mile bike rides whenever i can. if you hate runngin you will never run, but if you like to jump rope then that is what you should do. it could be something as simple as making sure you run your stairs in your house a few times a day as fast as you can.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
You know, I'm the worst when it comes to self-motivation. But, I'll tell you what, after running 3 times a week for a couple of weeks, I no longer got tired running 20 minute motos at the local track! Now that's motivation! It's easier to motivate yourself when you actually see results. The hard part about ANY program is staying motivated while waiting for those results. Yet, that's exactly what you have to do.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
actually most people i know hate running but i think it is refreshing, not only will you not be tired after motos but you'll have more energy all the time.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
One thing that works good for me is circuit training, or interval training.

I set the timer on my watch for 3 minutes (countdown-repeat cycle). I cycle through different exercises, about 10 or 12 stations in total. I usually go through fast run on treadmill, pushups/situps, jump rope, weights, and throw a stretching block in there somewhere for some rest!

Makes the workout go fast, and seems to be a well-rounded one as well.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I feel great after running too. I think I hated it most initially because it HURT so bad! But, after about 3 weeks of running 3 times a week, the pain subsided and it became ALMOST enjoyable!

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I have been doing upper body lifting workouts followed by 30 to 40 minutes on a stationary bike for lower body and endurance 3 times a week. Thanks to the local YMCA for a place to do it all. It helps me a lot out there.
tom

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Red Rider total body strength and endurance is key. Lifting weight will help in handling and controlling the bike, upper body wise. But back and leg strength and endurance is probly more important to absorbe the landings and keep you strong through out the moto. The excersise bike will provide the endurance and some strength, but I would suppliment that with some squats for additional leg strength. You don't have to do 300lbs, just something your are comfortable with and can handle for 15 reps. Last year during the season I quit doing squats for about three months, because I thought just riding the mountain bike would give me the leg power, I was totally wrong and my riding suffered.

Briggsracing

Mod Ban
Nov 4, 2003
I just started a workout program every other day before school. I took alot of your guy's advice and put it together with help from some guys i race with. But since i haven't ran latly so know that i started I get pretty bad crampts even when I'm not real physically tired yet. Is there anything i can do to try and prevent this or should I just keep toughing it out by running harder?

TNUTT

Jul 18, 2002
If you are cramping up you probably should take it a little easier. Also, are you hydrating properly? I read somewhere that you need to drink half your body weight in water ex. 150LBS/2= 75. Need to Drink 75 OZ. of water to be properly hydrated. This will probably help your muscles from cramping up when running and overall program.

treefinder

Sponsoring Member
Jun 4, 2002
I'd also suggest doing "Clean and Presses", they work a lot of different muscle groups (quads, upper back, shoulders) in a short amount of time. You do not need to pile a lot of weight on, I do 15 reps x 3 sets with the 45 lb bar and I'm ready to keel over.

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I found that I got cramps when number one I was not in shape and number two when I was not hydrated enough. The more I exercised the longer I could go before the cramps set in. Finally I no longer got them as long as I was hydrated of course.
tom

rairden

Jun 3, 2003
I used to work out and that was great, but running would be the best thing. Anything that can get your heart rate up and keep it up is the best. I used to jump rope for basketball and thats just as good.

For strength....it's all about repetition. Of course you want to gain muscle, but you/we arn't training to be Mr. Olympia. The point is do things in 25-30 reps to train your muscles for endurance NOT strength. That is key. Tom Grover who used to be Michael Jordan's personal trainer made him do things in repititions. Instead of doing 8-10 squats w/alot of weight, do 25-30 squats w/ less weight.

scoobymx

Jan 23, 2003
hey arms and shoulders are important but trunk and legs are most important for motorcycle racing the tighter you can hang on with your legs the easyer you can be on your arms

surfdog

Dec 20, 2003
i do martial arts three times a week plus the gym twice. jumping rope each time. martial arts makes your legs really strong and limber. i'm 52 and have more flexibility then when i was a kid. plus going to class gets you motivated and it's in the evening which is better then watching tv. picked up my new and first dirt bike today so i'll let you know if i'm all hot air or not.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
way to go surfdog!! ^^^
the key is to be consistent. us guys who have family and careers find it a lot harder to workout consistently. i try to do something areobic 3 times a week. max results come from a combination of anerobic/areobic but the anerobic fitness is harder to come by. areobic trains the body for endurance. maybe that endurance isnt at max effort but still pretty productive in my ability to ride without wheezing. if im not out of breath, im spending more time on the track/trail and actually practicing riding techniques and not just "hanging on".

back to the workout routine. i run 2 times a week @4.25mi and i usually MTB trail once(6mi trail or 12mi road). running is the fastest way to get in areobic shape but it can be hard on a body over time. when i have time i work on endurance type lifting with my upper body but really need more work on the legs in that dept. i too thought mtb would take care of it but it doesnt. i know i use lots of groin compression gripping the bike. my thighs seem to get tired too. i guess the suspension motion of a dirtbike is different than pedaling. i also like paddle sports. the real key is that i like all of the activites i do so i am more apt to do them.

one thing that really helped my running times was the use of a mp3 player. good tunes make the pace quicken and the miles fly by.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Running seems to work for me too but not outside. I hate running outdoors. I usually go to the gym and run on the treadmill. I don't have to worry about anythign distracting me like traffic, people or varying terrain. I can actually tune out completely. I end up running farther and longer cause I am not thinking about how I'm feeling. Just kind of lost in the rythm. Only thing that sux is that you are eyes wig out when you get off the treadmill.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to do cardio for my arms. Lifting weights makes my armpump worse. Soo bad that I can't ride without a long long break after the moto. Never got armpump that bad. So how do I get endurance in forearms and hands?

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
ok i wouldn't advise anybody to do that exercise. Too much strain on lower back and your knees are not supposed to bend past your toes when lifting.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
As with any weightlifting, if you don't use proper form you can most certainly hurt yourself.

I've been doing sissy squats for over 15 years and have NEVER had a problem with my knees or my lowerback due to the movement. But I did take the time to work with a trainer and learn good form many years ago. As with any lifting, if it hurts you are either not doing it correctly and need to stop and learn the proper form OR you may have a physical condition that prevents you from doing the movement.

I did suggest to try it without weights because it is a more difficult movement to perform. It won't strain your knees or your lower back but you have to keep the natural curve of your lower back stable. The rule of not letting your knees go in front of your toes applies to regular squats and even then, if you do DEEP squats you will find your knees get pretty close to the threshold there. I suggest you try the sissy squat with good form before you make a blanket statement like above. But, if you don't want to then don't. I will keep them as part of my training and live happily ever after. :yeehaw:

Last edited:

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
I've done the gym thing on and off over the years, even hired a trainer to show me how to use the equipment in the proper way. Turned forty a few months ago and just lost all interested in working out. Just too much of a grind.

Well my lovely wife decided she wanted to get in better shape and hired a trainer, but the hitch was that I had to go with her. Today was our first session.

I can honestly tell you that todays one hour session was the hardest a** kickings I think I've ever had. I'm in reasonably good shape, but by the time we were done with the first 30 minutes, I was, literally, ready to puke. The funny thing is, it was all floor-based dynamic stretching work...we didn't hit the weights until later. He basically took us through about 12 variations of lunges, deep ones, twisting ones, reaching ones, sideways ones. As I sit here and type this, my quads and hamstrings are just throbbing.

The best part --> I love it and can't wait to do 'em again!!

Top Bottom