njkx

Apr 13, 2004
Picked up a CRF 50 for my 4 yo son. He is able to ride his bicycle very well without training wheels. After one day of getting used to the throttle (turned to almost the minimum) and brakes, he can ride the CRF without training wheels. Problem is that when he comes to a stop, he cannot hold the bike up because he is too short to touch the ground and the bike is too heavy for him. Therefore I have to run behind him and catch him when he stops. I'd hate to have to have him revert to training wheels. Just wondering if anyone can suggest another solution.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A smaller bike like a PW50 or JR50 picked up cheap might be an option. Sure you have the CRF new but it's won't melt away and you could even use it to run around with him.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Dig a small trench / rut for him to pull into when he want to stop. That way his feet will reach the ground.

I would also suggest teaching him how to pick up the bike for if/when he does fall over.

BTW...where are the pics?!?!?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Forgot to mention...I did slide the forks up as high as they would go to lower the bike a little. I also cut the end of the shifter off when my youngest was on a CRF50. That way I could put it in 1st gear and not worry about him clicking up to 3rd and going faster than I was ready for him to go.

MSB22

Feb 19, 2008
njkx said:
Pics will come. Kinda hard to run and snap pics while yelling "brakes!"

I don't care who you are this post made me laugh a little bit I remember when my cousins first started riding...i had to build them a jump by the end of the day...haha...first time..they both went of the jump :yikes: maybe went a lil aggressive..haha...they finally got the hang of it now there riding 80's

I can tell you this those 50 Honda's can take a beating and keep on going...

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
trench? Blocks? Geeze, if the kid was good enough to be able to ride around, return and stop that accurately he probably wouldn't need the assist!

Have you tried cranking down the rear suspension? Take the foam out of the seat? Elevator boots?

The good news is that the problem will probably resolve itself very quickly!

Rod

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
hes coming along...he can now hold the bike up about 25% of the time...depending on where he stops and what sort of angle the bike is leaning at. new issue is that his hands are a bit too small for the front brake. took him out on the pee wee track. did really well but then it got crowded and some kid on a 65 stuffed him into a corner. then he's like "my hands are hurting" hehe arm pump on a 4 yo....didnt think that could happen:)

Top Bottom