Training Wheels Enduro Race Report

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Looking back, the best part is always seeing everyone and getting to meet a few new DRN folks.  I left Modesto at 6:15 am, pulling into the 7-11 off the freeway 99 to wait for Karna and Justin, we are going to caravan the 2.5 hour drive to Forresthill.  Good thing Karna and I have our cell phones so we can gab a bit on the way up.  We get there two whole hours before our minutes, yet it seems that its always a mad dash to check in, get through tech, do last minute stuff (like taping your minute to your bike and getting your gas can to gas stop).

At check in, we see Buddy and Mini, who had just arrived on a plane from Puerta Vallarta a mere 8 hours earlier (how do they do it??)  Mini still looks fresh with a big smile on here face.  In front of them in line is the guy who helped me get my bike started during the WFO when I was stuck in the mud.  Nice guy, turns out he's an A class rider from the Richland Ramblers club and even though he had started the WFO 10 minutes late AND stopped to help me out, he won his class. 

Also in line is ScottYZ250!  We get to chat for longer than 5 minutes today and make plans to get together at Carnegie before the end of the year.  We also see fremontguy, Jonala, NVR FNSH, Treefinder and Racergirl76, who has been MIA for the last 6 months.  Racergirl76 is on minute 4 so she's gotta run.

At check-in I meet RetSenior who introduces himself to me.  Nice to finally meet you!  Apparently Ret has been put to work by the CERA man in charge ;) and will not be racing today. 

It takes FOREVER to get through Tech and the Rangers are in full force not taking anything for granted.  Justin helps me get my JART chart in order and I get to my minute with about 2 to spare.  I line up next to a really nice guy named Denny and his daughter Ashley and lo and behold its LocoCD!  Nice to meet you and your family - what nice people!

Our minute arrives and I have the magic button so I'm off the line first.  I regret this later as  I bog down on one of those brick/dirt creekbank reinforcements and hold up everyone on my minute and the minute behind us.   I'm spinning my back tire and roosting everyone behind me.  LocoCD says to inch my tire back a bit and try again.  It works and we're off again.  As penance for my sin, I let everyone go ahead of me including the guys on the minute behind us since they were so patient!

Forresthill trails are all fun and I had a blast, mainly because I knew what was behind each turn.  I'm trying my best to pay attention to my JART chart and the wristwatch I have taped to my bars.  Am I early?  Am I late?  Not really sure because I'm afraid to twist the roll chart while I'm riding and afraid to pull over to check it all out in case I'm late.  I get through the first check point 1 minute late and I'm happy with that.  I tell myself my gut instincts must be pretty good but vow to try and keep time better.

I'm thoroughly enjoying riding the kTm and I marvel at this throughout the whole 50+ mile ride.  I get to gas stop and see Karna and Justin and also Mark, the A class rider who I met at the WFO.  He explains resets to me and we reset my odometer accordingly.  I see Dave Woods and Mike Pascarella who wave in recognition.   I'm taking Woodsrider's advice to try a slimfast at gas stop for quick liquid energy (Cappuchino Delight!!) and I imagine all these nutrients and caffeine coursing through my veins.  I'm ready to go!!

I must have really done a good job imagining all that extra energy because I end up burning two checks later on, one by 4 minutes and one by 8.  Holy cow!  That NEVER happens to me!  Since I'm early I pull over and check my roll chart.  Since I didn't bother to roll it forward I see that I missed a 10 minute break, thus the 8 minute burn. :ugg: Ah, well.  I end up zero'ing the last check so that made me feel better.

I take two tumbles today, both in the rocky dowhhill sections.  During the rush of the morning I had forgot to put on my elbow pads and that's where it hurts.  Sure was nice to just pick up the kTm and push the button.  No wasted energy spent.  During the race, I try to focus on my riding skill and control.  I remember to try to stand up through the woods and not just on the easy fire roads and accomplish this some of the time.  My favorite part of the whole race is that long stretch of water bars on Trail 3.  Wooooo Hooooo!  I'm getting gutsy and fly off a few of them, this makes me happy and I hope the CERA routes us back through Trail 3 again on the remaining loop. 

After the race I chat with more friends.  I see kTmchick and jennifer who were on earlier minutes.  Jennifer says Pierre passed sound check this time and got to race today, good for him! Then I go back to the truck to load everything and get ready to go home.  Karna and Justin and I are starving and stop at this awesome hamburger joint in Auburn for greasy delicious cheeseburgers with grilled onions and mushrooms.

Fun day!

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
Yes it was a very nice ride. This was the first family enduro that I have ridden with my daughter. We set it up for me to ride lead in the sections she could potentially zero - I kept time. She led in the difficult sections so she could set her pace and I could help out if she crashed or got stuck. The day went very well, she zeroed 3 or 4 checks and ended up with 16 points. Last Spring she had a 128 at the family enduro and she wanted to improve that score. Reducing her score by 112 minutes was a pretty good effort!

All in all a very nice day, enough slippery corners, rocky hills and creek crossings to keep you busy. I also liked the slow speed sections where we could work on riding possibles. Some folks were complaining about slow speed sections and an inability to go that "slow". I asked them if they tried to ride possibles - the go fast and then rest method. Most didn't. I thought it was a great feature the club added that really helped me understand how to use the Watchdog enduro computer I just installed.

It was nice meeting/seeing many of you. Wild Piglet in March!

Last edited:

dirttrails

Mar 20, 2002
I loved the CERA had layed out. Though I have riden much of the common Sugar Pine loops it was really cool to have riden sections that I've never riden like parts of the 5 and 7 loops. Those two sections were by the far my favorites.

I burned the majority of the checks and scored bad in the skills sections. But my goals for this race was to get through it, get close to my minute, and move as fast as possible through the close/tight tree sections.

This being my first enduro though I didn't expect at all that people would be stopped along the trails waiting for the minutes to catch up.

The trail was marked very very very well! There was only one section (along the gravel roads) that I got worried that I was in the wrong place, but I kept seeing the red dots so it was cool.

CERA did an outstanding job!!

My only complaint has to do with the sound check. I'd heard that one rider was tested six times because the db dealie reported anywhere from 108 to 65 db's. My bike turned in 100.8db's (TTR-225 w/ Big Gun exhaust), which seems really high to me. So I guess I'm going to have to find a local shop with a db meter and double check that.

In all though I had a blast!! Between helping a younger rider, getting the low down on my next bike, talking about enduro timing, and being around a whole heapin' heard of dirt bikes I really really enjoyed myself.

Thanks again CERA, and I really look forward to your next event!!

-Reuben (minute 23B)

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
Wow! I've never had to worry about being early to a check. I ride as fast as I can and am still late for every one!

HAHAHA!!  That's usually the case for me!  This was a more tame family enduro so you really had to watch your time, which I did a poor job of doing. 

LocoCD, your daughter was awesome!!  In the last section before the finish I was trying to keep pace with her through those rocks and she was just freightin' at good clip and I lost sight of her!  See you at the Wild Piglet!!

dirttrails

Mar 20, 2002
Sorry for the double post, I had a typo in my previous message and I'm not able to edit my reply.

The first sentance should read: I loved the course that CERA had layed out.

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
I love these little kiddy enduros. They almost make me feel like I know what I'm doing...

Seriously, I had a great time as usual. Saw some DRN buddies, met a couple new faces, and did not get hurt (my #1 goal). I hope everyone had fun. One of these days I need to get myself a computer and learn to keep time right. ;)

See you all in March at the Piglet!

Hey Loco, empty your PM box... it's full :eek:

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Great report Nat (formerly known as GETMESOMEMOCHA, j/k)

Sounds like a great time and looks as though the pumpkin is working out for ya.

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
Nat...good write up.

I got to work the start window at sign in. That's so cool to see all your fellow riders coming through and saying Hi. I must admit we had a large DRN rider turnout. I don't know you all yet but will. I got to work check 5 also and score some of your cards, that was fun too. We had a lot of DRNers zeroing check 5 with Fast Nat burning it.

Myself I had 2 great days of fun without even riding.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Really lucked out on the nice weather up there this weekend. I had fun riding Sun/Mon, flagging first crossing, taking down signs after event. Most riders had good form going through the gates as I put my life on the line to block aproaching cars ;) .The hard core riders would just slow a little and blast through, most would down-shift and look both ways and I never got to see a wheelie through there. The trail 5 senic loop was epic on Monday with a little moisture on ground.

CERAChris

May 22, 2002
Unofficial results are up on the CERA website. Check 2 was changed to an observation check due to 10-20% of the riders missing a corner and cutting a couple of miles off the course before Check 2.

Most people seemed to enjoy the event, we'll have another Training Wheels in June.

treefinder

Sponsoring Member
Jun 4, 2002
Great writeup Natalie! Glad everyone had fun. :thumb:

It takes FOREVER to get through Tech and the Rangers are in full force not taking anything for granted

In their defense, they were doing legit sound tests, which some of the other Forest Districts have NOT done this year. Following the rules means recording registration #, looking up RPM, not waving anyone through, having a 17' radius around the bike being tested, etc. I know the other Forest Districts think they're doing people a favor by doing sketchy tests, but I disagree.

AFAIK we only kept 2 riders from the event because of sound. Both blew 104 db, which is not even close to being legal now, much less in January when the limit drops to 96db.

And where else but N Cal can you have both ice and dust on the same enduro course?

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
Chris/Frank
Thanks again to CERA for the fun ride. What a difference a day (or 2) makes, I imagine it was snowing on parts of the track Tuesday morning!

We had nearly 150 youth riders in the 4 D-36 family enduros this year. I hope we continue to see the growth and interest. It was not uncommon to have 4 or 5 kids (10-15 years old) scoring under 5 points in the family enduros. For all of us "adults" looking for a challange, set a goal to beat the kid's class winners... bet you can't do it!!!

jennifer

Apr 3, 2002
Hi Natalie,
Excellent report! Can I just say that that cement ramp thing after the start freeks me out. I wiped out on Sat and also on Sunday on the same thing. What stinks is that it is not hard.... it is just psychologically disturbing.

Sorry to hear about your elbow pads. Bummer.

Jennifer
DRZ250

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
Great report Natalie, I have really got to get off my duff and try one of those family enduros. It seems like a great way to get into it. I love the Forest Hill area so it would have been a more confortable starting place. Hope we get to meet soon since we live so close together. It's great reading stuff from someone who boviously enjoys riding so much... :thumb:
I just checked the posting dates... Duh... nothing like being up to date :| I've got to get out more :confused:

Last edited:

Top Bottom