Tranny fluid causing spooge?

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I believe I once read on this forum that the transmission gasket can leak in such a manner as to allow tranny fluid to be burned in the combustion process, resulting in excess spooge. If a leak is the culprit, will the remaining fluid be clean or will it appear darkened as a result of contamination? Mine was crystal clear. My reason for blamming the leak was in my inspecting the tranny fluid via the inspection window, it appeared empty! I began to add some fluid, when in having added no more then a couple of capfuls, the window filled up over the top mark. While I do plan on switching a pure synthetic oil like Golden Spectro, I am still concerned with the delemma of the gasket. If it is the gasket, is it a repair that a person of average mechanical ability can perform?

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
It's the right side crank seal that can leak. It's kinda hard to tell by looking at the fluid because different things can make it "darkened". If you're losing fluid after a ride & there are no other leaks it's probably the seal.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…