joey450

Jul 14, 2007
Just wondering how often you guys change your tranny oil .Ihave a06 450 r . I have a friend who changes his engine oil and and tranny fluid after every day at the track . :ohmy: In my opinion thats crazy. i know what the manual recommends, just wondering how often its done in the real world

May 9, 2007
I change mine every four hours. Excessive? Maybe, but so what, it's only money, and it makes me feel better. If I was worried about the cost of a few quarts of oil, I shouldn't be in this sport...

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
When my kid was running a 2 stroke it was changed everytime he rode the bike. With his 4 stroke having an hour meter on it the oil get's changed every 1.5-3 hours of riding. My riding is much easier on the bike so I generally change the oil every few rides.

joey450

Jul 14, 2007
The owners manual calls for engine oil change every 6 races or 15 hours ,same for tranny .Generally thats what i go by.

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
that is not nearly enough time for the oil to break down, enless you are using atf but still it is just throwing away money to do it every 1-3 hours. is it even dirty or does it come out clean.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
hot125mod said:
that is not nearly enough time for the oil to break down

What do you base that deduction on? Most Used Oil Analysis data that I've seen from MX bikes with shared tranny/gearbox oil suggest that almost no oils are still in grade after 2 hours use.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Smell and look at the transmission oil! Aluminum and clutch fibers mixing with the engine oil, how about every moto!!! A race weekend adds up to about 2 1/2 hours, and 2 to 4 hours during the week. The honda trashes the trans and the engine oil looks new. If we were running another brand I would be buying oil in bulk!

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Chili said:
What do you base that deduction on? Most Used Oil Analysis data that I've seen from MX bikes with shared tranny/gearbox oil suggest that almost no oils are still in grade after 2 hours use.

Yes, but does that really matter?

Since we don't operate in extremely cold environments, an oil shearing out of viscosity grade on the cold end is irrelevant for our uses. I don't care how the oil works at 32F since at that temperature my butt is inside where it is warm. If it shears down to a straight 30wt it is still acceptable for hot-weather uses.

With that said, oil is cheap; transmissions and labor are not. It is much better to change it often with cheap oil than to change it infrequently with some motorcycle gearbox wonder oil. The system has no filters in it so the only way to remove contaminants is by changing the fluid. If the cost of oil is too much for you, then you really need to find a cheaper hobby as this one is out of your price range.

Besides, it is an excuse to drink a few beers while you wait for that quart to drain out of the crankcase. At least for those of us of legal age.

Top Bottom