tranny oil gray and bike idles rough?

Apr 25, 2006
When I changed the oil in my 2001 cr250 I could see small pieces of metal in it and when I first start the bike cold it seem to run fine but after riding it for a while it seems like it pulls back when I try to speed up. The bike also idles rough and sometimes stalls when idling?

Any suggestions????????????????

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Well, I dont know how much experience you have with 2 strokes. But what first comes to mind is that 2 strokes dont usually idle that great, and given enough time it will die. Also they dont idle real smooth. Also, the oil is usually somewhat grey because of all the aluminum and clutch wear. But metal particles? Is that something you can see or feel in the oil?

How often have you been changing the oil? Is it still your original clutch? Any shifting problems? Does it pop into nuetral or anything like that?

Need more info I suppose to evaluate.

kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
dirt-rider-newbee said:
When I changed the oil in my 2001 cr250 I could see small pieces of metal in it and when I first start the bike cold it seem to run fine but after riding it for a while it seems like it pulls back when I try to speed up. The bike also idles rough and sometimes stalls when idling?

Any suggestions????????????????

It may be an indication of too rich condition when it runs fine cold, but gets worse as it warms up. There are some great links on this site about jetting....you may want to do some reading.

About the oil....change it often....I change mine every 2nd or third riding day.

kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
slickpuss said:
Well, I dont know how much experience you have with 2 strokes. But what first comes to mind is that 2 strokes dont usually idle that great, and given enough time it will die. Also they dont idle real smooth. Also, the oil is usually somewhat grey because of all the aluminum and clutch wear. But metal particles? Is that something you can see or feel in the oil?

How often have you been changing the oil? Is it still your original clutch? Any shifting problems? Does it pop into nuetral or anything like that?

Need more info I suppose to evaluate.

With all due respect, a properly tuned 2-stroke will idle smoothly, and reliably.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
grey oil my be a sign of radiator water getting into the crank case due to a leak. does it smoke pure white smoke from the pipe?, you may can get a magnatized oil drain plug to catch particles.

xcracer72

Uhhh...
May 28, 2006
two strokes will idle wonderfully if tuned properly. I would suspect your impeller seal is leaking and allowing antifreeze into your transmission/clutch. It doesn't take much to turn it gray. Its usually a three dollar part and takes about an hour to fix. Check your coolant level

or even worse you have a bad seal between your crank chamber and your transmission/clutch

Last edited:

Top Bottom