jimmy 420

Dec 7, 2005
i have a 03 yz250 i landed off a jump and my boot hit the shifter and i landed between gears now it jumps in and out of 3 gear only all the rest r good i split the case lastnit all the gears teeth r good but there is a bit of roundin on 3rd and 4th drive gears dogs it does not look like a lot the forks look good my question is would that be the problem most likely there is about a millimeter radious on the dogs (i with i had a camera but i dont) i was just wonderin if there it any other areas i should look at it shifts in and out of gear fine by hand just under hard load it jumps in and out any help would be great thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
jimmy 420 said:
there is about a millimeter radious on the dogs

The dogs should be square on the edges. If they have a radius it will force the gears apart under power and possibly bend the shift forks. Inspect your forks. They should have even wear on boths sides, top and bottom. If they show wear at the top on one side and at the bottom on the other side, or visa versa, they are bent and should be replaced along with the worn gears.

jimmy 420

Dec 7, 2005
i got the the gears all cleaned up and out and they do look ok my question it when i look at the forks they dont bent as far as i can c is there ant good way to tell or would i hav to get another new one and hold it up and check it against it other then that is there any other posible parts to check i might just go and buy all new forks...this is the first time i hav split a case sorry bout all the guestions

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Would you like to hear that your problem could be behind the clutch,not in the transmission? Check the shaft,shift boss and all them parts in between. Also the springs. Some shafts are stopped from dis-engagement by the clutch cover,crashes can push the shifter far enough to throw the alignment off the shift boss. Loose and damaged parts can too! For the trans to shift,return and hold in place,these parts have to be properly installed. You probably will not get a manual.

jimmy 420

Dec 7, 2005
i do hav a manual i am not worried about getin it apart of together i hav all the parts set aside in different trays i just can find anythin that looks dammaged or wore out i will check the shift shaft and that tho to

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
jimmy 420 said:
my question it when i look at the forks they dont bent as far as i can c is there ant good way to tell or would i hav to get another new one and hold it up and check it against it other

At the risk of repeating myself. "Inspect your forks. They should have even wear on both sides, top and bottom.
If they show wear at the top on one side and at the bottom on the other side, or visa versa, THEY ARE BENT and should be replaced."

Top Bottom