chandlerman

Dec 22, 2003
I'm hoping there's a tranny wizard out there somewhere. My '03yz250 suddenly decided the only gears acceptable were 1st and neutral. It won't shift up past Neutral at all. I've never had tranny problems in all my years of dirt biking, so I'm green in this area. Any ideas of what I should be looking for, things I can check before tearing it open, or tips? Thanks.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Start at the shift lever and trace it back to find where it has a problem at. Could be in the shifter mechanism,under the clutch. Or like Indy said,right in the belly!

chandlerman

Dec 22, 2003
Thanks for the replies. Can I get to any of it by pulling the clutch (I've never even done that - never needed to) without pulling the motor/splitting the case? Is it worth a try, or should I just bite the bullet and tear it apart right from the start? Another question - do I need a tool for case-splitting like manual suggests or is there an easy(er) trick that works?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
To split the cases for trans issues you should remove the clutch and other componets anyway. You are going to need access to an impact gun and the case splitter is real handy,also the rotor removal tool is real important! If it is just the clutch side,all you need is the impact,to remove the inner pressure and basket. Take the right cover off and see what is or is not doing. Then you will have to look deeper if you can not see it. Crashes,misuse or parts come loose and the shifter fork becomes misaligned with the drum and you are going to have shifting issues!

Top Bottom