whtkdxtra

May 23, 2000
I keep blowing trans fluid out of the vent tube after a ride. This started happening after I went to using the entire quart of fluid. I replaced both the clutch shaft seal and the water pump shaft seal to fix the water in the oil problem and I thought vent leakage problem would go away also but it hasn't. Any ideas???:think

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Any Ideas? Ya a full quart of oil is too much for your 1990 KDX. Next time you change the oil stand the bike up straight and fill it to the upper level of the sight glass, no more.

David

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
I thought the general rule of thumb was to dump in a full quart in an effort to reduce noise ?

I still wanna know what rattles...

-MD

whtkdxtra

May 23, 2000
Dave, right after it started blowing ot, I swithed to putting the correct amout in and it still keeps blowing out. Do you think the oil in the tube is preventing it from breathing correctly?? I know monitor it and have to add after a few hours of riding.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Gee, last time I said to use the right amount tranny oil so it would'nt blow out of the oil tube the croud raised up shouting and throwing things. :think

PS. there's probley residule oil in the tube that needs to be blown out.

PSS. does the bike smoke a lot and have a dark, maybe oil fouled plug? if so you may have a bad crank seal causing excess pressure in the gear box. you have to add oil every ride to get the level right or just after the first or second ride?

Last edited:

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Like Sage sez & also between the cases.

Build a leak down tester if you want to be sure. They are real cool & will tell you a lot, but only if you have a problem.

There's a good recipe on Macdizzy.com site for just such a beast.

Have to sort out a good way to plug the exhaust. When I made mine I used a sparkplug for the gauge so I could adapt it to any bike.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
88RM250 most guys will run a full quart in a 95 to 2001 KDXs to keep the noise down a little. The 89 to 94 KDX200s don't have this problem.

whkdxtra if you've lower the oil level and the problem is still there the transmission is likely being pressurised via leaking crank seal or case as mentioned above.

David

Top Bottom