Transmission clicking KDX 2001

dirtnerd

Dec 31, 2006
Hey guys can you help me? I friend of mine bought a KDX200 2001. We were out riding and he developed a clicking noise. It sounds like a bolt is sticking out on the clutch basket and hitting the case. We found out that it is on the secondary side of the clutch. In that when you start up the bike you hear the clicking. It is pretty loud. You pull in the clutch and put it in gear and the noise stops. I have pulled the clutch and found no problems with the clutch. I have turned the shaft and found the catch in one spot on the secondary clutch shaft going in to the transmission. This is telling me that either a tooth is broken on a gear or something is stuck in a bearing. I am planning to try to washout the transmission with diesel fuel to try to wash any trash out. Then look through the small window behind the clutch to look at the teeth on the gear that I can see. I was looking at the parts lay out and it looks like the bearing by the clutch comes out from the side.
So my question is: has any one experienced this type of problem and do you know if this clutch bearing in the side of the case can be removed with out splitting the case?

If I can remove this bearing it might allow more viewing of the gears.
I hope you can help out.

Thanks Todd

OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
Clutch noise?

If it's a "rattling" kind of a noise it may just be the inheirant noise common to most KDX clutches. Irritating, but harmless. It goes away when the clutch is pulled and gets worse when idling in neutral. I believe it's caused by excess play between the driven plates and the basket. Search this forum for more info. If you discover it's something different please let us know.

dirtnerd

Dec 31, 2006
I have taken the clutch basket out and I found metal pieces in the bottom of the engine. Not good. I think the bushing in the transmission went away. I hope this weekend to split the cases. Not fun.
Thanks

dirtnerd

Dec 31, 2006
I split the case, I found the last person when he rebuilt the top end he broke the power valve governer pin. This pin rattled around in the transmission until it got caught in the gears. One gear is split and the other is chipped. Not good but repairable.
Thanks

Top Bottom