BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Are there any options on modern MX bikes for altering the transmission gearing? The DRN project bike had a WR tranny installed but if I understood correctly, there were just a few available. I would like to have a WR tranny in my YZ but have heard no references to anything available. Anyone have info or experience in doing this?

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
yes but its very pricey, ive been trying to find a wr kit for my cr that wont cost a fortune, as of right now the only place ive found WR kits is http://www.madmanengineering.com/ and i think they only carry them for CRs. baja designs, IMS and kevin hinz of eline all used to sell em. not no more

post up a link if you find any others :cool:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You could buy all of the gears individually from Yamaha. They do fit right on the YZ shaft, no? At 50 bucks a gear, it's actually cheaper to just buy an entire transmission from the OEM than it is a wide-ratio kit.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
ZOMBIE666 said:
yes but its very pricey, ive been trying to find a wr kit for my cr that wont cost a fortune, as of right now the only place ive found WR kits is http://www.madmanengineering.com/ and i think they only carry them for CRs. baja designs, IMS and kevin hinz of eline all used to sell em. not no more

post up a link if you find any others :cool:

I think the MadMan Engineering kit is the only option for the CR250 left out there. Baja Designs dropped their CR250 kits a few years ago and now only lists CRF450R kits.

Will some or all of the CRF450X tranny parts work in the CR250 cases?

I know the first CRF450R shared some tranny parts with the CR250R. Later models had unique transmissions, but I think that was mostly due to ratio changes specific to the 450 four-stroke and not physical spacing changes. I think the CRF450X engine is a development of the R engine, so I wouldn't be surprised if the transmissions are the same, except for ratio differences.

I've been interested in one of the MadMan Engineering kits, but I was wondering if it would be possible to use the bottom two ratios out of the CRF450X transmission with the kit, all in CR250 cases. That would spread out the ratios quite nicely and make tight trail work a lot easier, without limiting top speed.

Anyone know?

I wonder if AJ has ever investigated such a thing? He seems to have swapped plenty of other Honda parts between models in his tenure at Service Honda. :cool:

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
MTK, ive been looking at the crf-x tranny but cant get a deafinitive answer on it, also unfortunitly i dont have the cash to buy the lower ends to tinker with. i have heard the 02 and later need a pre 02 counter shaft and shims like they list on the madman site to use crf-x gears. i guess ill have to keep an eye on gbay for some used crf-x trannys

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If you want to experiment, you can buy one set of gears for about $100. If they don't match, just return them and pay the restocking fee.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
they only cost 100 bucks? i havnt looked up the prices oem but if thats true thats not too bad at all. :cool:

any one know AJ at service honda? MTK, your probably right, he's most likely the guy to ask

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Honestly, I'd be really surprised if it didn't work. After all, look at how many parts interchange on the different models. If my memory serves me, Hinson makes one clutch basket for the 250s as well as both the 450R and 450X models.

AJ is probably the best person to ask as I'm sure he's forgotten more about Honda parts interchangability than most of us will ever know. ;)

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
It's about $100 per pair of gears. So, get the first two, risk the 10-20% restock fee, if they fit, then move on to the next two gears you want. If the part numbers for the transmission shafts are the same, I'd assume you would be good to go.

Top Bottom