Transmission oil bolt thread - damaged thread neck

Frosty_Power

Mar 22, 2009
I recently purchased a 99 CR125 and was told by the previous owner that there is a very slow leak in the transmission oil bolt and mentioned he believed it was cross threaded. I removed the bolt yesterday and to my surprise, the steel neck where the bolt goes in was half missing. Looked like it cracked off. Not sure if I am explaining this in detail but if I tighten the bolt back up, I could see some threads on one side cause the thread neck is sheared off. I didn't know what else to do, so I took some thread tape and proceeded to put the bolt back on and fill up my oil. Ran the bike for 15 minutes and checked for leaks. No leaks yet and checked this morning and was dry. I was hoping to go out for a trail ride this weekend. Am I safe to do so? What are my options to get this fixed? I was thinking of bringing my bike to a machinist to fix. Any suggestions or feedback?

Thanks in advance and also, this is my very first post, been hanging around here for awhile getting great info. Great site!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Did the bolt have a washer on it? Typically aluminum or copper.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
I would refrain from using tape.Use the liquid type sealant and safety wire the bolt to assure it doesn't fall out while riding making a bad situation worse.You'll eventually need to disassemble and repair that.But keeping the oil in the trans will make the repair less expensive.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
A good tig welder/machinist should be able to reweld the broken piece, retap and surface the sealing washer area without taking the engine apart. Even if the piece is missing, it can be built up with aluminum rod and remachined.

Look for automotive/motorcycle machine shops in your area.

Frosty_Power

Mar 22, 2009
Ol'89r said:
A good tig welder/machinist should be able to reweld the broken piece, retap and surface the sealing washer area without taking the engine apart. Even if the piece is missing, it can be built up with aluminum rod and remachined.

Look for automotive/motorcycle machine shops in your area.

good idea. i think i'll do that some time next week. i should be okay for an afternoon ride this weekend, do you think? i'll keep a close eye on it.

Frosty_Power

Mar 22, 2009
Thought I'd attach some pics incase this happens to anyone else in the future. Off to the machine shop for me!

Attachments

• IMG_7284.JPG
    IMG_7284.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 168

Top Bottom