mxalix258

Jan 12, 2005
hey,
Ive been having a little trouble lately with the tranny oil on the bike always running low, im not sure if i brought this up before but i need to bring it up again because its becoming more and more of a problem, so to begin with saturday night i checked the oil level and it was a little low so i filled it all the way up so it was perfect and then the next day i took the bike to the race and the clutch felt a little weird so i checked the oil and it was low and pretty much almost empty and i didnt even run it between that time period so im pretty sure im not burning it off in the cylinder or something, i dont really understand for it to be draining all out that quick you'd think you'd see like a steady flow leaking from somewhere but i dont see anything ive tried cleaning the whole bottom end to see where it drips......nothing......i feel along the underside of the bike along the 2 cases where it meets and around the oil drain plug and can feel alot of oil but not enough to drain the whole tranny......so its kind of screwed up to me, any help would be great cause it wont be a good day when i forgot to fill the tranny that i will have to do like everyday and messes up my whole engine so if you guys have any idea what a problem could be that'd be great

thanks
-Alix

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Wait, You fill it up, don't see any drips but you lose all you tranny oil? Your bike can't be burning it because (I think we are talking about a 2002 YZ125) it's a 2-stroke. It has got to be leaking out somewhere.

Give us some more information.

mxalix258

Jan 12, 2005
thats the problem i cant figure it out, i belive it could be burning it up couldnt it? if an oil seal in the crank is messed up or something i dunno some one else mentioned that could be a problem, i started up the bike today and it started running really high i dunno if that has to do with anything, i saw a drop of oil under a clutch cover bolt and some on the clutch cover running from other bolts but i still dont get it if you guys have any ideas tha't'd be great

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
How does the bike run? Is there ALOT of white smoke when running? If so, it's being burned. Obviously, you are certain it's not all leaking out, so it is getting burned through the clutch-side main crank seal. I would change that seal and fix all of the other small nuisance leaks that you have. That way you can get a better idea what's happening.

mxalix258

Jan 12, 2005
alright i appreciate that there is a ton of white smoke being burned even when its warm theres a little, to replace the main crank seal i'd have to split the cases and such right? how much do you think that'd cost? and what do you think caused it? because just had the engine rebuilt in august including all new engine seals

Scottp5

Dec 30, 2005
I believe the right side crank seal can be replaced without splitting the crankcase. You will have to remove the side cover however.

Top Bottom