mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
In the yz 250 manual it states, transmission oil "10W-30 type SE motor oil"j. Does that mean i can go to my local motor factors/halfords and get a gallon of 10W-30 motor oil and use that in my transmission instead of buying 1 litre bottles of oil from my local motox shop? Wil it be ok to use a motor oil in there other than Silkolene, Putoline etc,gear oil?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Sure. if you want to..

Attachments

• beatdeadhorse.gif
    beatdeadhorse.gif
    129 KB · Views: 173

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
mike-evans said:
I guess that's a NO...? :(
No, im pretty sure you can.

What he is getting at, is that this has been talked about a billion times, so its "beating a dead horse". Search bar is a great tool. But yes, you should be fine.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
this has been talked about a billion times

2,129,255,316, actually. I been keeping count ;)

If you're using motor oil, make sure you do NOT purchase motor oil with friction modifiers, AKA energy saving. This will cause unwanted clutch slip, and premature failure of clutch plates. Inexpensive oils like rotella make a good gear oil for your bike. If you're interested in trying different oils, Type-F ATF is a great oil for a 2t gearbox.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
What I mean is, there are no hard rules about what lube to use in your gearbox. As long as you change it frequently. I'd bet you could get away with vegetable oil in a pinch. Not that I would though.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Man I am so glad he asked that question I've been wondering about that very thing for oh....... a thousand years or so.

NOT.

Top Bottom