transmission problem 1999kx250 please help!

kenb24

Feb 9, 2010
I have a 1999 kawasaki kx 250 with the tps carb i bought the bike about five years ago then got into a really bad car wreck never rode the bike till now and when i rev it up to high rpms it shifs into gear from neutral firt time it shot right out of my hands because the clutch was not in.
After that i noticed when in neutral moving the bike back and fourth will sometimes go into gear fluids are changed, i am not a noob to rideing or working on stuff but i never had a bike do this i need some help/advice kaw shop near me needs 500 down to look in it but thats not a bad idea so they dont get ripped.
i hope its simple like i said i can do some work cheaper than kaw shop. if anyone could help mewith some ideas of what this is please let me know

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Buy a manual, and take the clutch cover off. Something in your shifter mechanism is broke or not in proper sequence for shifting. It may have fell over and popped the shifter shaft out of position. There is a shifter star on the shift drum, that needs to be set in neutral, then engage the shift shaft centered. There are 2 detentes that help hold the bike in gear, they may be loose or missing. Its worth checking before the cases get split. The worst part is the clutch basket really needs to come off for access to the shifting parts. Total cost, 1 clutch cover gasket and a shop manual. Vintage Bob

kenb24

Feb 9, 2010
99kx250 transmission

thanks for the info it makes sense just need it to get warm to work on it. ill let you know how things go with the bike thank you

Top Bottom