dirtbikr99

Nov 21, 2002
I was using a car to tow a trailer to the track and riding areas, it was working out ok. The car was stolen leaving me with no vehicle with a hitch to tow my trailer. I haven't been able to ride for a month and its been killing me. I am getting a sweet deal on a 86 to 90 econline 350 deasil with 90 thousand miles on it with a newly rebuilt tranny. Its a conversion van u can stand up in it, it has a toilet, fridge, bar sink with running water, and a propane grill, two bench seats that fold into a bed. Im going to use this and my small utility trailer to get to the races and riding areas, and I can sleep in it when needed. I was just wondering if other people who use or have used this type of a set up liked it?
Also Im thinking of turing my small open utility trailer into an enclosed one for bike secuity. Does anyone have any experience turning an open trailer into an enclosed one?
Also does anyone have any idea of what kind of MPG a conversion econoline 350 diesel will get? Does anyone have an experience using home heating oil as diesel fuel in there truck to save money?
Maybe i'll post some before and after pictures of it, im going to give it a paint job alot of cool mx stickers and some motorcycle excesories.

dirtbikr99

Nov 21, 2002
I looked into biodesiel extencivly, as well as svo(strait vegitiable oil) wvo (waste vegtiable oil) single tank and dual tanks, im com to the conclusion that is it not with the trouble

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
if you are going to enclose your trailer just for security/weather protection for a bike and a few tools, etc.. consider designing something like the lift top, wedge shaped trailers used for snowmobiles. this will have a low wind signature both forward (save fuel) and side (less wind drift). also less weight than a full enclosure (you may have to consider weight capacity of the trailer frame before enclosing too).

dirtbikr99

Nov 21, 2002
That does sound like a good idea. I had a bike stolen once, I will not have it happen again, im going to chain the bike to the trailer the trailer to the van and most important im going to but a battery kill switch in it. What I mean by battery kill switch is somthing that I can remove to disconnect the battery cable to the starter so the car cannot be stolen. My last bike was stolen using my stolen car.

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
I was using a car to tow a trailer to the track and riding areas, it was working out ok. The car was stolen leaving me with no vehicle with a hitch to tow my trailer. I haven't been able to ride for a month and its been killing me.

Man that sux. I hope You get your man, only one thing worse than a car thief & thats a bike thief. :| If I were you the next vehicle I would get, is one that cant be stolen without the keys, well that or a tow truck. Dont cars in the USA have coded ECU'S............

dirtbikr99

Nov 21, 2002
I just cant wait to start riding again, I get in such a bad mood if I dont get to ride. I have a limited riding season also becuase of a college scholarship that doesnt alow to me ride in season. The worst part of it, my dad has an explorer with a hitch that would work but I cant use it for dirtbiking because he thinks it will get dirty or scratched or whatever. But I dont blame him its brand new. I just cant wait to get out of college and I can get a real job that will fully support my love of riding dirtbikes.

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
Im kind of in the same boat. I have a bike & trailer but my cars too low for me to get a tow bar fitted. My dad has a tow bar on his car but I cant relie on him to take me all the time. My nearest track is some 40 miles away. my friends have a good set up they race with there local team in the amca. They have a van, & a caravan they take with them. Shame 2's company & 3's a crowd eh......... Well in any case im not really good enough to race yet. But the thing is I am going to have to at some stage. One good thing is though when I get the 144kit I can race in the openclasswith the lesser riders. There are lots of tracks in my part of the UK there just all race tracks You need to be in a club to ride on them. Im in limbo at the mo :| :bang: :coocoo:

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
dirtbikr99 said:
when they use the van do they pull a trailer behind it? How is that working out for them?

They use a ford transit van (work horse of the british builder) which could easly fit in 3 bikes. & pull the caravan behind seems a good set up for them. Much cheaper than a race home or similar

Top Bottom