Transporting a bike

fisha69

May 30, 2002
I'm picking up my first bike tomorrow so I need an answer soon if possible!

I wanted to know if its okay to transport my YZ 125 on its side, like sort of lying down. Is this okay? Does it mess anything up? Should I empty the gas tank?

Anything I should know?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
What are you lying it down on? Theres no way you could lay it down on a truck box. Just get two strapes hook on the handlebars and truck box(or whatever your using)make sure the bike is stable and drive.

fisha69

May 30, 2002
I'm planning on putting the backseats down in my sedan and putting the bike in thru the trunk. I think it will fit...

This is only temporary just to get the bike to my house from the previous owner. Someone told me that I would have some mechanical problems arising from putting a bike on its side like that...

fisha69

May 30, 2002
AMAZING!

Just completely drain it and I will be okay?

And one more thing, I am so new to all this, where can I learn about all the real basics like mixing the gas?

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Oh yeah drain those fluids.. Especially the gas... The fumes could get to you.. Oh and it will fit....

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I often have my bike on it's side! :eek:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Home depot rents a truck for 19.95 for the day, might be a better idea. I can see this bike doing endo's on the highway after it breaks lose from the trunk. I've stuffed a bike in a car's trunk before but that was by accident!:scream:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i saw a very nice new bike get dragged 1/2 mile up the freeway after it came loose from its trailer, by the looks of it, after a few hundred yards of sparks and bouncing, it went from an approx value of $4000 to about $2000! so a $20 perr day truck rental is probably worth it.

after seeing this incident, i always use 4 tiedowns rather than 2!

ive done the trunk thing also, but i took the wheels and forks of first so i could stuff it in better, but i wouldnt recommend it!

good luck!

fisha69

May 30, 2002
Like I explained, renting is not an option because I am not 21 years old.

Now I have to work with my option, I will it down like insanely well it is my only option...

Thanks for the advice guys

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
Man this briings back memories.. I once stuffed a Honda Mini-Trail into the back seat of my Datsun 510 to haul it. The there's the classic first moto-cross-ever-in my-life trip.. I had a 72 Kawi 250, the one with the split front axle mount.. I built a bumper mount out of allthread and a piece of conduit.. Clamped the split axle mount to the conduit, put the front tire in the trunk of the Datsun and trailed the thing to the race on the back bumper.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
The gas tank should be the first thing to be drained.

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
If you want to just take the gas tank off competly then you wouldn't need to drain it(tank that is).

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Trust me, It can be done and 380EXC Should know everything there is to know about it :)

terrapin808

Jan 28, 2002
well since i don't have a truck and i'm just a kid with an old-ass cherokee that's falling apart, i usually remove my seat and gas tank and throw the bike ('92 XR280R) in on it's side. For a long haul, I'll take the front wheel off. I definately wish I had a truck though because I hate having to rebuild the bike everytime I want to take it anywhere.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Make sure you ask the previous owner what oil he was using in the gas and at what ratio was he mixing. Go to your local bike shop and buy a 'Ratio Rite"; it's the most foolproof way to mix!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
It's a little plastic measuring cup that has several different ratios marked on the sides so you can measure out the right amount of oil for what ratio you want to run and how many gallons you want to mix. :cool:

Even my 14 yr. old son can use it correctly!

MikeKX250

Mar 21, 2001
Home Depot gets $20 for the first 45 minutes, a full day would probably cost a few hundred dollars.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…