Transporting a Dirtbike with a CAR?!?!?!?

Staley8

Jan 29, 2001
Maybe you guys can help me with a dilemma here. I want to get a dirtbike (250-400cc) but right now I only own a car to transport it with. It is a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville with a 3.8 V6 in it. I was think of either getting a little trailer or a Motorcycle Carrier/Rack. However I don't know if my car can take a Class III hitch, and the Class II hitch is only rated like 300 pounds tounge weight. From the racks I've seen they weight around 60-80 pounds and the bike will weigh around 260-280. Can I put a class III hitch on a Bonneville? Should I use a class II and chance it, or just pull a little trailer? Could my car handle a little trailer? Has anyone else tried this (I realize I'll look like a complete idiot driving down the road in a 4-door sedan with a dirtbike on the back, and my back end saggin down but anyway)

The racks I found are:
1.Moto-X-Caddy from BDRACKS http://www.bdiracks.com/bdimx.html

2.Versa Haul http://www.versahaul.com/Productinformation.htm

3.MotoTote http://www.mototote.com/products.html

4.Moto Jack Rack http://www.motojackrack.com/

Any input is appreciated, thanks

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Your car with a Class II hitch should be fine. The tongue weight of a small trailer with a dirt bike will be less than 300 lbs.

Staley8

Jan 29, 2001
trailer vs carrier

So you guys think a trailer would be better than one of those hitch carrier/caddy type things?

mp4798

Aug 10, 2001
car hauler

been there done that. dude i was so poor when i got out of school i had an 89 4 cylinder huyndai excell. bought a single railed bandit jet ski trailer and hauled a klx 300 with it for 2.5 yrs. (gotta have those priorities in order,ha ha). later bought a 4 cylinder ranger and still use the same trailer. go for it!

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
I've been towing my KX500 behind my 95 Nissan Maxima on a 4X8 flatbed from Arizona to Cali and it works fine. It just sucks a lot more gas. Soon I'll be getting a truck since I prefer that method better than towing.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The rear suspension on your car won't handle the weight of a hitch carrier rack loaded with a dirtbike. You'd also need a Class III receiver. Buy a small trailer.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i've used 2 of the different hitch carriers on suv's. i think you'd hate it; it was a big load on the suv's, even with accessory springs. i vote for the small trailer.

mknight

Jun 14, 2000
My vote would be for the small trailer too. I've looked into those hitch carriers as an alternative for carrying an additional bike behind my travel trailer but so far I've been lucky in squeezing all that I need to carry in the bed of my full-size long bed F250.

I know and have seen several people who pull small lightweight trailers behind sedans. I saw a Dodge Neon with two bikes on a trailer at the track and personally know of a guy who has a Honda Accord with a V6 that pulls his CR500 around on a small trailer. Most of the people I have seen do it buy those real cheap small lightweight trailers that you can find at a lot of hardware stores and warehouse clubs (i.e. Costco, Sams Club). Most of them have a red frame and are even "collapsible" for easy storage in a garage. I think you listed this too.....but at http://www.kwmarketing.com./Trailers/group_2_one.htm you can get the traditional "rail" trailers.

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
Go with the small trailer! Try to take a look at the ones that stand up and roll. The problem with using a reciver carrier isnot only the weight BUT it will stick too far out and drag at every driveway.
But I'd bet that that car could handle a regular 3 rail trailer with three bikes and gear.
A guy I work with made a carrier that replaced the bumper on his early civic and he'd take his CR500 everywhere with that set up :p looked funny too as the axles were at the sides of the car.....

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
I've towed race trailers with everything from cars to bikes to racing lawn mowers all over the country. I've used a reciever hitch bumper style bike rack I made, and liked it. BUT, there is no way your car will take it. 500-700 pounds of tongue weight on my Suburban and it's bagged out. Went to air ride control on the back.

If you really don't want a trailer, get about five 100 pound bags of cement and toss em in the trunk (whip by Home Depot and see if they'll let you try it without having to buy the dang cement). I'll be the car is so bagged out that once seeing it, you wouldn't even try to mount the bike back there.

Get a trailer, you'll never go wrong, and you can use it for other stuff.

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
I just put a class II hitch on my MBZ 300SD to tow bike or jet ski. Looks odd to some but getting 25+ mpg and riding in luxury to lake or riding area works for me:cool: Can't even tell either is attached on road. Look for single jet ski trailer to mod for bike. When people buy second ski they generally dump single ski trailer for cheap...

Top Bottom