HhawkK1292

Aug 24, 2006
Right now, I am about to get my first bike (KDX 200). The problem is, that I have NO way to transport it to get it home, when I find the one I want. Neither of my parent's SUV's have a hitch receiver. If I rent a U-Haul Truck, Its $20 + $0.59 per mile, and most of the bikes I am finding are more than ~50 miles away. Any ideas? :bang: :bang: :bang:

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
Do you have a friend, or relative, or neighbor even that would drive you with a truck or in a vehicle with a hitch?

Jul 15, 2007
You have to attach it to the tow package. Or a pickup just needs a 2 inch tow ball. You can buy a hitch bike carrier for 202.00 on motorsport. Best option since you will need it again.

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
HhawkK1292 said:
i dont think anybody has a car or truck with a hitch, and how does the hitch attach underneath if i were to buy one?

If they(friend, family, nice neighbor) have a truck at all why can't you load it into the back? :nod:

FistFullofDirt said:
You have to attach it to the tow package. Or a pickup just needs a 2 inch tow ball. You can buy a hitch bike carrier for 202.00 on motorsport. Best option since you will need it again.

If he were to do that he could just rent a U-haul. For half that, or less.

HhawkK1292

Aug 24, 2006
yeah thats the problem..neither of them have a tow package =(..one is a 06 ford escape, and the other is a 07 jeep grand cherokee limited..the tow package was optional on both..why must my parents say no =(((

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I know a guy that lined his Trailblazer with blankets and laid his CRF250R in the back until he bought a carrier. It wasn't pretty , but it worked. Make sure the fuel is turned off.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Since your purchasing a bike and will need to transport it regularly to ride. I suggest looking for an older small 2-wheel drive pick-up. Toyota, ranger ect...

To pick it up, find a buddy with a trailer or a pick-up.

Good Luck, Steve.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
To just get it home, have the mechanics at the dealer remove both wheels and drain the gas tank and carburetor.

If your parents have an suv, place a piece of plywood on the floor and cover it with a piece of old carpet. Lay the bike on it's left side in the back of the suv. When you get it home, study your manual to learn how to reinstall the wheels. This is something you will have to learn how to do anyway. Then refill your gas tank and go do some of this------------------------> :ride:

HhawkK1292

Aug 24, 2006
The cool thing is, that I won't really need to transport it after I get it. My friend has a farm right in back of me, and I have trails literally 20 seconds away for a walk. If I load it into the SUV, how do you turn the gas off? (sorry nooby question)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
You live out by a farm and none of your friends have a pick up truck? If 1 of your friends does, offer them some gas money :cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Ol'89r said:
To just get it home, have the mechanics at the dealer remove both wheels and drain the gas tank and carburetor.

If your parents have an suv, place a piece of plywood on the floor and cover it with a piece of old carpet. Lay the bike on it's left side in the back of the suv. When you get it home, study your manual to learn how to reinstall the wheels. This is something you will have to learn how to do anyway. Then refill your gas tank and go do some of this------------------------> :ride:
380EXCguy did this in a Neon from ID to IL. It can be done.

Hollowpoint

Aug 4, 2007
rickyd said:
You live out by a farm and none of your friends have a pick up truck? If 1 of your friends does, offer them some gas money :cool:

Thats what I did with my families truck or my dads work trucks. Now I got a Jeep and a trailer for moving stuff around and for work but most likly for the future bike

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
HhawkK1292 said:
haha I know he has a LOT of pickups but i dont know if his dad will let me use one. =( might as well ask..

I would not let a kid borrow one of my trucks - its an insurance issue. My insurance will not cover an under 23-yr old driver not to mention you likely can't cover the deductable if the vehicle is trashed. Even if the accident is not your fault - but if you are hit by an uninsured driver, then i would be stuck covering deductable AND my insurance rate will climb too...

A better solution may be to offer to help out some on the farm in exchange for your friends dad driving to town and getting the bike. If he does not mind having bikes riding on the farm, then he may be open to helping you. Most adults really appreciate the maturity shown when a kid directly asks for help in a mature manner AND comes up with a way to pay for it.

Top Bottom