Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
racerx

August 17, 2004

Pastrana Throws His Name in the Maxxis U.S. Open Hat
- press release -

AURORA, Ill. (August 17, 2004) - Clear Channel Entertainment’s Motor Sports division announced today that former supercross and motocross champion Travis Pastrana will race the seventh-annual Maxxis U.S. Open at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas October 8&9.

Pastrana, 20, captured his first major championship in 2000 when he won the 125cc outdoor motocross championship, claiming five overall wins as a rookie. In 2001 he won the 125cc Eastern Regional Supercross Series championship and placed ninth at the U.S. Open in the same year.

After some injury plagued seasons, Pastrana has taken some time off, but is expected to be in the best shape of his career at the Maxxis U.S. Open.

"I am extremely excited about racing the US Open. I have made this my main priority and I am looking forward to trying to put in a winning year and taking a championship. When the U.S. Open comes around, I will be in great shape and 100% healthy,” said Pastrana. “I know I can win this event if I am healthy. This year’s competition is awesome, with Reed and Carmichael.”

Riders confirmed to compete in the 2004 Maxxis U.S. Open include defending and current THQ AMA Supercross Series champion Chad Reed, two-time U.S. Open champion and all-time AMA national championship holder Ricky Carmichael.

Other invited athletes include up-and-coming superstar, reigning 125cc Eastern Regional THQ AMA Supercross Series champion James Stewart and veteran Mike LaRocco, who won the 2002 U.S. Open.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I just hope he can keep it on two wheels.

Maybe he'll do the MXdN the week before as well . . . :think:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
There's still plenty of time between now and then for him to hurt himself or get arrested or somethin'.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
He already just hurt himself plenty at the X games. Did you see what his face looked like? I heard he broke his foot too. He knows he can win? Give me a break. He is not competing in the nationals right now and he didn't finish a single supercross this year. I thought the US open was an invitational based on the points the rider scored during the last year. If racing was his priority he wouldn't be knocking himself unconcious doing FMX. I mean as far as FMX goes sure he deserves all the notoriety, but when he occasionally shows up for a race these days why does everyone start saying I think he's going to win?!? Guys like RC, Reed, Stewart who give racing everything they can seem to be the ones who win and if not, they finish the race and accumulate points.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
KX02 said:
He already just hurt himself plenty at the X games. Did you see what his face looked like? I heard he broke his foot too. He knows he can win? Give me a break. He is not competing in the nationals right now and he didn't finish a single supercross this year. I thought the US open was an invitational based on the points the rider scored during the last year. If racing was his priority he wouldn't be knocking himself unconcious doing FMX. I mean as far as FMX goes sure he deserves all the notoriety, but when he occasionally shows up for a race these days why does everyone start saying I think he's going to win?!? Guys like RC, Reed, Stewart who give racing everything they can seem to be the ones who win and if not, they finish the race and accumulate points.

I can understand your point. TP did, however, finish (10th i think) the Daytona SX, after winning his heat race. I will give all the respect to the big guns of SX, but when TP can be totally out of shape and win an SX moto, finish top 10 in the main, and then show up at Vegas and ride like he did in the 1st moto and give K-dub a great race and run off and leave everyone else. He deserves an invite.

And, honestly, if TP is healthy, in shape and focused - He has the speed to win any SX.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I didn't remember him finishing tenth at Daytona, but it's been a while. I remember one race where he made it to the main and then crashed the first lap (DNF) and another where he qualified, but said he didn't feel up to it and did not race the main.

I don't really see how somebody who has had so many concussions and other serious injuries could really get into good enough shape to race a complete season. I heard Decoster say Suzuki is done with him during an interview on the speed channel. I wonder who he will be racing for next year? :think:

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
It was Vegas that he didn't race the main. He was up partying all night (with Tedesco) and couldn't hack it! Suzuki will probably keep him on, they know he's a marketing machine.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
He was up partying all night (with Tedesco)

That explains Tedesco's lethargic showing. But TP doesn't drink or do drugs (so they say ;) ), so I wonder just what he was doing?.... :eek:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
nephron said:
That explains Tedesco's lethargic showing. But TP doesn't drink or do drugs (so they say ;) ), so I wonder just what he was doing?.... :eek:
he just had to dance, Dance, DANCE!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Travis will be on an RM, It's my understanding he has some sort of agreement with the Marketing department at Suzuki, He doesn't currently have a spot on the Race team but I doubt Suzuki is ready to let the marketing opportunities Travis offers escape just yet.

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Travis has done a lot of stupid things off the track, but I'd really like to see him pull it together for a whole season, not just one race. Though going by his past record I just don't see it happening.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
KX02 said:
I heard Decoster say Suzuki is done with him during an interview on the speed channel.

Decoster said "Team Suzuki" was done with Pastrana. The factory race team, not "Suzuki" the company. He said that Travis would get factory support but would have to get his own team, similar to what McGrath did.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Man watching X games, I was impressed, but then I saw his mechanic, Matt Crown on tv who is from Michigan I was trippin. I know Matt pretty well and was floored to see him there, somewhat surprising to say the least.
I wish pastrana could be more stable than his intentions that lead him to disaster all the time.

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
"he just had to dance, Dance, DANCE"

I'm not one to throw out a lol when I don't mean it, but that really made me lol.

have you ever seen Dane Cook? he has a similar bit that is hilarious

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
You just know w/ all of the disappoinment from Travis not living up to his ability, poor ol' Roger D is having flashbacks of Ron Lechien...another incredible talent on a motorcycle (one of the best natural riders ever) w/ a melon prone to brain fade.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
CR Swade said:
You just know w/ all of the disappoinment from Travis not living up to his ability, poor ol' Roger D is having flashbacks of Ron Lechien...another incredible talent on a motorcycle (one of the best natural riders ever) w/ a melon prone to brain fade.

I know Lechien had his troubles off the track, but his results on the race track FAR surpass Pastrana.

Lechien earned 26 major victories, including ten wins in 125MX, six in 250MX, eight in 250SX and two in 500MX.

Pastrana is #47 on the all time AMA win list. He has never won a 250 national or SX. He has seven national victories (all 125MX).

It amuses me that the MX media has labelled Lechien the posterboy for underacheivement, while the same press has treated Pastrana like a hero. Maybe if TP had been 100% focused on racing, he could have won half as many races as Lechein. Alas, we will never know.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Nothing much to argue with there DBD. I think maybe they are still cutting TP some slack as he still has some time to come back and realize his potential.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Im surprised anyone gets worked up anymore when he announces hes going to race a meeting-he goes on about getting all prepared for it, big thrill its one meeting that mean nothing really.He should wise up and get fit and concentrate on riding a series-even a short one like a east 125 sx, i remember when he had 'village idiot' wrote on the ass of his bottoms , it looks to me like he actually is afterall-yes he has money but i dont think many racers are after the money and retiring at 21-they want to win like rc and bubba and go down in history as great riders-not waste of talents.I dont include his fmx as to me its a performing monkey act.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
KX02 said:
I didn't remember him finishing tenth at Daytona, but it's been a while. I remember one race where he made it to the main and then crashed the first lap (DNF) and another where he qualified, but said he didn't feel up to it and did not race the main.

I don't really see how somebody who has had so many concussions and other serious injuries could really get into good enough shape to race a complete season. I heard Decoster say Suzuki is done with him during an interview on the speed channel. I wonder who he will be racing for next year? :think:

Yes he did finish 10th at Daytona,, and because he made the main and started he is credited with 20th place finishes at both rounds 11 and 16.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
dirt bike dave said:
I know Lechien had his troubles off the track, but his results on the race track FAR surpass Pastrana.

Lechien earned 26 major victories, including ten wins in 125MX, six in 250MX, eight in 250SX and two in 500MX.

Pastrana is #47 on the all time AMA win list. He has never won a 250 national or SX. He has seven national victories (all 125MX).

It amuses me that the MX media has labelled Lechien the posterboy for underacheivement, while the same press has treated Pastrana like a hero. Maybe if TP had been 100% focused on racing, he could have won half as many races as Lechein. Alas, we will never know.

I think your last statement about focusing is why so many in the industry labeled Lechien that-because he could have been dominant much the way McGrath or Carmichael have been. I saw him win at Oklahoma City many moons ago...he made the field look like boys in a man's class

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
flynbryan said:
Was Roger ever team manager for Kawasaki....?

Nope, but you knew that already. On an interesting side note, take a look at the list of riders that The Man has had under his tent:
Donnie Hansen, Chuck Sun, Danny Laporte, Daryl Schultz, Danny "Magoo" Chandler, David Bailey, Johnny O'Mara, Mickey Dymond, Rick Johnson, Guy Cooper, Ron Lechien, Eric Kehoe (I think), George Holland, Jeff Stanton, Jean Michele Bayle, Jeremy McGrath, Steve Lamson, damn now his name escapes me...one of the original tough guys...you know broke his back...rode the yammie four stroke when it came out...aaarrrgghh I can't remeber his name :bang:

Anyway the list of riders he has reads like a MX Hall of Fame (most of them are or will be) and I agree w/ DBD, Lechien had way more to his name than Pastrana ever has. Sometimes its a shame these guys didn't get to reap the benefits of the current PR machines...but then again they may have never achieved the greatness they did with all of the distractions of big hype.

Top Bottom